Home / News / Castro to Duterte: Marcos trips have complete receipts, no fake names, aliases

Castro to Duterte: Marcos trips have complete receipts, no fake names, aliases

Metro Manila, Philippines –  Malacañang defended the transparency in President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s foreign trips in response to the challenge of Vice President Sara Duterte to disclose travel authorities and expenses of government officials.

Palace press officer Claire Castro said the Office of the President has been open about the president’s official and working visits abroad, including reports on the outcome of his trips.

“Sa parte po ng Office of the President, lagi naman pong transparent ang Office of the President pagdating po sa pagbibiyahe,” Castro said on Wednesday, Aug. 19.

[Translation: On the part of the Office of the President, it has always been transparent when it comes to travel.]

Castro then said travel expenses are documented and reported to state auditors.

“At patungkol po sa budget, hindi rin po ito itinatago – kumpletong resibo, walang peke, walang alias. Maaari po itong makita at ito naman po ay nairi-report na rin po sa COA,” she said.

(Translation: As for the budget, this is not being hidden either — there are complete receipts, nothing fake, no aliases. These can be seen and are also reported to the Commission on Audit.)

The Office of the President issued Duterte a travel authority on Aug. 17. Castro said the Office of the Vice President received the document at 12:41 p.m.

Duterte later changed her plans and sought to cancel the travel authority. Castro said the request to cancel was received at 6:07 p.m. on Aug. 18.

The vice president had earlier criticized the Palace for confirming her travel schedule, saying the disclosure raised concerns about her personal security.

“From here on, we expect that all travel authorities issued by the Palace together with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds involved be made available to the public,” Duterte said in a statement.

Castro maintained that Malacañang did not initially announce Duterte’s trip and only confirmed the information after journalists sought verification.

Duterte subsequently said transparency and accountability should not be demanded from only one government office, noting that the Palace issues travel authorities to officials and employees across government.

Castro then appeared to turn Duterte’s transparency challenge back on the vice president.

“Kung sino iyong nagdi-demand ng transparency, dapat maging transparent din siya sa kanyang mga activities,” Castro said.

[Translation: Whoever demands transparency should also be transparent about their activities.]

Advertisement
Tagged: