News

DOJ seeks plunder charges vs Estrada, others in flood control scam – ombudsman 

Metro Manila, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has recommended multiple charges including plunder and graft against Sen. Jinggoy Estrada and a number of former public works officials in relation to the flood control corruption scandal, the Office of the Ombudsman said. In a press statement on Monday, May 18, the ombudsman said the DOJ named the following in the resolution, which stemmed from a criminal complaint by the public works department and bid-rigging task force of the National Bureau of Investigation: Senator Jose “Jinggoy” P. Ejercito Estrada Former DPWH Secretary Manuel M. Bonoan  Former DPWH undersecretary Maria Catalina “Cathy” E. Cabral  Former DPWH undersecretary Roberto R. Bernardo  Former DPWH National Capital Region-director Gerard P. Opulencia  Former DPWH Bulacan 1st district engineer Henry C. Alcantara DPWH assistant district engineers Bong Dinglasan, Denryl Caesar S. Cortuna  DPWH assistant district engineers Manny B. Bulusan  Arturo L. Gonzales, Jr., and several John/Jane…

Marcos still trusts Remulla despite Zaldy Co, Bato controversies – Palace

Metro Manila, Philippines – President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. continues to trust Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla as criticisms mount on cases involving fugitive former lawmaker Zaldy Co and Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, Malacañang said on Monday, May 18. Speaking at a briefing, Palace press officer Claire Castro said the president still has confidence in Remulla. “Wala pong dapat ikabahala dahil buo pa rin po ang tiwala ng Pangulo kay Secretary Jonvic Remulla,” Castro said. [Translation: There is nothing to worry about because the president still fully trusts Secretary Jonvic Remulla.] Castro said Malacañang has no information indicating that Marcos is considering replacing the Department of the Interior and Local Government chief. “Sa ngayon po ay wala naman pong impormasyon patungkol diyan,” she said when asked about reports of a possible replacement.[Translation: As of now, we have no information regarding that.] Remulla has faced criticism over the government’s inability to immediately…

Senate was never under attack amid Bato standoff – Palace

Metro Manila, Philippines –  Malacañang rejected claims that the Senate was “under attack” in last week’s standoff involving the reported attempt to serve an International Criminal Court arrest warrant against Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa. Speaking at a Palace briefing, Palace press officer Claire Castro dismissed what a senator called a “Senate siege.” “Senate siege? Was it under attack? It was not, the Senate was not under attack,” Castro said on Monday, May 18.  “Makikita naman ito sa mga balita, hindi lamang sa mga pahayag ng NBI at PNP. Si Senator Allan Cayetano lamang ang nagsabi niyan,” she said. [Translation: You can see that from the news, not only from the statements of the NBI [National Bureau of Investigation] and PNP [Philippine National Police]. It was only the statement made by Senator Allan Cayetano.]  ““Sa panig ng gobyerno, hindi kailanman inatake ang Senado,” Castro said.  [Translation: As far as we…

Dela Rosa still in PH – Padilla

Metro Manila, Philippines – Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is in the country, Senator Robin Padilla said on Monday, May 18, but did not go into details. In a chance interview with reporters on the sidelines of the Senate session, Padilla said Dela Rosa won’t leave the country while facing an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity of murder linked to the Duterte administration’s drug war. “Hindi gagawin ni Bato ‘yun. Mahal niya ang Pilipinas…’Di aalis iyon,” Padilla said. [Translation: Bato won’t do that. He loves the country…He won’t leave.] Padilla did not confirm the information that he was with Dela Rosa the night he fled the Senate building on May 14, less than a day after tensions erupted in the chamber.  “Hintayin na lang natin ‘yung investigation ng mga opisyal,” he said, when pressed by reporters on his supposed involvement in Dela Rosa’s exit. …

Senate assigns new committee chairmanships

Metro Manila, Philippines – The Senate on Monday, May 18, appointed new committee chairpersons during a plenary session under the leadership of Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano. The chairpersons and their committees are: Loren Legarda  – retained, Committee on Culture and the Arts – Committee on Basic Education Pia Cayetano – retained, Committee on Ways and Means – retained, Committee on Energy – Committee on SDG, Innovation, and Futures Thinking   Bong Go  – retained, Committee on Sports – Committee on Health and Demography  Joel Villanueva  – Committee on Higher, Technical, and Vocational Education Jinggoy Estrada  – Committee on National Defense and Security, Peace, Unification, and Reconciliation  – Committee on Games and Amusement Rodante Marcoleta  – Committee on Public Services Robin Padilla – retained, Committee on Cultural Communities and Muslim Affairs – Committee on Public Information and Mass Media Right after the leadership change on May 11, some senators pushed for clarity…

ADVERTISEMENT

DOJ seeks plunder charges vs Estrada, others in flood control scam – ombudsman 

ICC appoints Peter Haynes as Duterte counsel, defense says trial may take up to 19 months to begin

Marcos still trusts Remulla despite Zaldy Co, Bato controversies – Palace

Senate was never under attack amid Bato standoff – Palace

Dela Rosa still in PH – Padilla

Senate assigns new committee chairmanships

Senate convenes as impeachment court

Marcos appoints Kim Robert de Leon as budget chief

All eyes on Senate: Cayetano on a lifeline on day of Impeachment Court

Coalition of former UP student leaders calls for Cayetano resignation

ADB offers Philippines ₱98-billion crisis support amid Middle East conflict

Solicitor General asks SC to dismiss Bato’s ICC petition