Metro Manila, Philippines – Vice President Sara Duterte canceled her planned trip to Japan a day after Malacañang issued her travel authority, as she raised concerns that the disclosure of her schedule could compromise her security.
The Office of the President issued Duterte’s travel authority on Aug. 17 for a personal trip to Japan from Aug. 19 to 24 at no cost to the government.
On Aug. 18, however, the Office of the Vice President asked Malacañang to cancel the travel authority after Duterte’s plans changed.
The Palace had earlier confirmed the Japan trip based on the travel authority issued to the vice president.
Duterte subsequently issued a statement Tuesday saying reports about her planned trip were inaccurate because her schedule had already been changed.
“My plans have since changed, and the updated information on this matter was formally submitted to the Office of the President,” Duterte said.
She did not disclose the reason for the change in plans or provide details about her revised schedule.
Duterte also raised a security concern over Malacañang’s disclosure of her travel schedule.
“Likewise, I wish to again remind the Office of the President that the continued publication or disclosure of my schedule is a matter of serious concern, particularly as it compromises my personal security and exposes me to heightened risks,” she said.
The latest development follows a series of overseas trips by Duterte while she faces an ongoing impeachment trial before the Senate.
In July, Duterte was authorized to travel to Qatar, Germany, the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland and the Netherlands from July 16 to 31.
The OVP had said that the trip involved official and personal engagements and was undertaken without government expense.
Duterte’s office has yet to disclose whether she has new travel plans following the cancellation of her Japan trip.
Malacañang has also yet to respond to Duterte’s allegation that the disclosure of her schedule poses a security risk.
















