Metro Manila, Philippines – Suspended Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca was recommended for possible charges by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) over a gunfire scare inside the Senate building on May 13.
CIDG chief Robert Alexander Morico II said investigators found that Aplasca and two Senate security personnel violated the Private Security Services Industry Act after allegedly firing weapons without sufficient basis causing panic.
During a press briefing at Camp Crame on Wednesday, May 20, Morico said the CIDG would transmit its findings to the Department of Justice for assessment.
He said charges were recommended against Aplasca and two of his personnel under the law.
CIDG investigators said the actions of the Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms personnel were contrary to the Rules of Engagement under the law, which requires private security personnel to follow a “force continuum” before resorting to the use of firearms.
Under the guidelines presented by the CIDG, firearms should only be used in cases of imminent danger and in self-defense or defense of strangers.
Investigators identified the other probable shooters as Charlie Dumalo Montilla and Joemil Salazar Ledesma.
The CIDG said ballistics examinations had been conducted, while Aplasca had already surrendered his firearm and remains under investigation.
Meanwhile, Morico said no firearm from National Bureau of Investigation personnel deployed outside the Senate compound was discharged.















