Home / News / DOJ seeks plunder charges vs Estrada, others in flood control scam – ombudsman 

DOJ seeks plunder charges vs Estrada, others in flood control scam – ombudsman 

Senator Jinggoy Estrada (Senate of the Philippines/Facebook)

Metro Manila, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has recommended multiple charges including plunder and graft against Sen. Jinggoy Estrada and a number of former public works officials in relation to the flood control corruption scandal, the Office of the Ombudsman said.

In a press statement on Monday, May 18, the ombudsman said the DOJ named the following in the resolution, which stemmed from a criminal complaint by the public works department and bid-rigging task force of the National Bureau of Investigation:

  • Senator Jose “Jinggoy” P. Ejercito Estrada
  • Former DPWH Secretary Manuel M. Bonoan 
  • Former DPWH undersecretary Maria Catalina “Cathy” E. Cabral 
  • Former DPWH undersecretary Roberto R. Bernardo 
  • Former DPWH National Capital Region-director Gerard P. Opulencia 
  • Former DPWH Bulacan 1st district engineer Henry C. Alcantara
  • DPWH assistant district engineers Bong Dinglasan, Denryl Caesar S. Cortuna 
  • DPWH assistant district engineers Manny B. Bulusan 
  • Arturo L. Gonzales, Jr., and several John/Jane Does.

Aside from plunder and graft, the other charges were direct bribery and receiving gifts by public officers and corruption of public officials.

The recommendation excluded Bernardo, Opulencia, and Alcantara from the final filing of complaints before the court for their role as state witnesses.

It also suggested dropping the charges against Cabral who died in December.

The ombudsman said the allegations mentioned that high-ranking government officials and private individuals “conspired to maneuver allocations, rig public bidding processes, and siphon government funds stemming from major national infrastructure budget systems.”

“The DOJ panel concluded that there is an interconnected network of public officers who abused their official designations to manipulate project specifications, clear budgets, and rig public bidding workflows,” Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavo said in a briefing.

He added the investigation covered legislative records and sworn transcripts from the Senate blue ribbon hearing on Nov. 14, 2025, which detailed illicit maneuvers and alleged 30 percent cuts surrounding regional flood control projects.

In his sworn affidavit in November 2025, Bernardo mentioned that Estrada had a ₱355-million allocation in last year’s budget for projects in the Bulacan 1st district, citing Alcantara.

Separately, Bulacan assistant district engineer Brice Hernandez accused Estrada of taking a 30 percent cut from the amount.

Estrada was previously involved in a plunder case in relation to the pork barrel scam. The Sandiganbayan acquitted him of the charges in 2024.

He has yet to issue a statement on the DOJ recommendation. The senator earlier denied accusations linking him to flood control anomalies.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: