Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 4) — The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday said no local cases of the so-called “walking pneumonia” were currently reported in the Philippines as the illness infects more people in China and other countries.
“So far this has not been reported simply because these are not being routinely tested,” DOH Undersecretary Eric Tayag told CNN Philippines’ New Day.
This contagious disease is caused by the pathogen Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Several countries, including China, have been reporting an increase of cases related to this especially among children.
Tayag explained the Philippines has recorded the illness before, but physicians nowadays would immediately prescribe antibiotics to a suspected patient once they detect the illness’ symptoms.
The DOH said last week there has been a slow down in the number of influenza-like cases. Its latest data showed 182,721 patients were infected as of Nov. 11, most of which were cases of Influenza A and B, and COVID-19.
Tayag said there was only clustering of cases and no outbreak of infections was reported in any region.
To prevent the further spread of the disease, Tayag advises the public to practice minimum health standards like washing of hands, social distancing, wearing of masks especially among the vulnerable and those who have cough and colds, and getting vaccinated.















