
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — The Department of Justice has issued a subpoena against international R&B singer Chris Brown and his promoter John Michael Pio Roda for an estafa complaint following a contract dispute.
In the subpoena signed Monday (July 27), Brown and Pio Roda were directed to obtain copies of the complaint, supporting affidavits, and other pieces of evidence submitted by complainant Maligaya Development Corporation.
Both the camps of Brown and the complainant have to submit all requirements on July 31, either personally or through their representatives.
State prosecutor Christine Buencamino warned the respondents that failure to comply with the subpoena will be considered as a waiver of their right to examine evidence to be submitted by the complainant.
Brown was barred from leaving the Philippines on July 22 by airport officials as a result of a lookout bulletin issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI), as ordered by the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Related: Chris Brown barred by DOJ from leaving Philippines
According to the DOJ memo, complainant Glicerio P. Santos IV, head legal counsel of the Iglesia ni Cristo and chief operating officer of Maligaya Development Corp., said that Brown and Pio Roda committed a breach of contract when Brown canceled his appearance at the “2015 Philippine Countdown” event at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan last January 1.
The complainant said Brown and Pio Roda continuously refused to return the money that had already been paid to them.
Brown was forced to stay in the Philippines for two days, causing him to miss his scheduled Hong Kong concert.
He finally departed from the Philippines on July 24 after obtaining a departure clearance from the BI.
Related: Chris Brown finally allowed to leave the Philippines
Meanwhile, Brown’s promoter Pio Roda, a Canadian national, was apprehended by the BI on July 23 following a deportation charge for immigration violations.












