Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 24) — Senator Lito Lapid and Manny Pacquiao, who both rarely show up in Senate inquiries, attended the hearing on Monday that discussed the issues surrounding the franchise renewal of ABS-CBN.
Lapid, who starred in ABS-CBN’s top rating TV show “Ang Probinsyano,” openly shared his partiality for the media giant.
“Siguro maraming nagtataka bigla akong sumipot dito sa hearing na ito. Wala namang kasinungalingan, ang ABS-CBN, malapit sa puso ko. Hindi nangangahulugang nandito ako para ipakita na ako ay biased na. Pero automatic naman ‘yun, ako naman ay tapatan lang,” he said during the Senate Committee on Public Services hearing.
[Translation: Many of you are wondering why I am here. ABS-CBN is close to my heart. My presence does not mean I am biased towards them, but to be honest, my bias towards them is automatic.]
The former actor joked, “Ibalik niyo lang mabuhay si Pinuno, bahala na sila” — referring to his villain-turned-hero character in the long-running TV series patterned after Leon Guerrero, a role he played in the 80s.
Lapid was forced to end his two-year stint with “Ang Probinsyano” when he ran for senator in 2019.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao highlighted the contribution of the media company to keep Filipinos informed and updated, adding it will be a “big loss” for the country it its franchise is not renewed.
The franchise of ABS-CBN remains in limbo as it is set to expire on May 4. A total of 11 bills seeking to renew ABS-CBN’s legal mandate have been languishing before the committee level since 2016.
“Sa mga sumasawsaw kung saan sila papanig, alalahanin natin na because of ABS-CBN, gusto kong maisip ninyo na because of ABS-CBN marami tayong natututunan at updated tayo… Malaking kawalan sa buong sambayanang Pilipino ang mawala ang ABS-CBN dahil nakapalaking tulong ito sa ating bansa,” he said.
[Translation: Those who are against the renewal, keep in mind that ABS-CBN has brought us vital information and updates. It will be a big loss to the country if we lose ABS-CBN.]
The lawmaker-slash-boxer added that the non-renewal of franchise is not the answer if the network is proven to have violated laws.
“Kung ano man ang problema nila, kung may violations sila, then kasuhan sila. Pero hindi naman siguro mapupunta doon sa closure ng station, in my opinion,” he added. His statement is surprising coming from a close ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, who has vowed to put the network out of business.
[Translation: In my opinion, they they violated laws, they should be charged, not closed.]
Duterte has been publicly ranting against ABS-CBN since assuming office, saying the network refused to carry his campaign commercials for the 2016 presidential race even if they have been already paid for.
Since late 2018, he has vowed to block the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise. Last year, he told the Lopezes to just sell the network to a new owner as he would make sure that the TV station is out of business by 2020.
















