
In a separate interview with CNN Philippines on Monday, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said the Caloocan LGU did all the appropriate measures as soon as they found out about the incident.
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 10) — The guests who attended a possible super spreader gathering at a resort in Caloocan City over the weekend have been advised to undergo quarantine.
Around 300 guests were at Gubat sa Ciudad resort on Sunday although these recreational establishments are prohibited from opening due to the modified enhanced community quarantine status over the city. As the heat index soared, dozens of people were also seen frolicking in a giant pool in the resort, despite strict mass gathering restrictions due to the COVID-19 surge in Metro Manila.
Año said the barangay captain was summoned by the Philippine National Police for an investigation.
The Department of Health on Monday said it has ordered its regional office to monitor the health of those who attended the gathering. The guests were told to finish the 14-day quarantine to stop the possible spread of the virus.
“Ang mga nagpunta sa resort na iyan, kailangan nila mag-quarantine for 14 days, lahat po sila, so we can ensure na walang pagkakahawa-hawaan na mangyayari,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a media briefing.
“Nagtutulungan ngayon ang PNP at Caloocan LGU kung ano ang mga kaukulang kaso na isasampa natin sa barangay captain at saka sa mga violators nitong IATF guidelines… Kasama na rin ‘yung may-ari ng resort na kakasuhan natin,” he told Newsroom Ngayon.
[Translation: Those who went to the resort need to undergo 14-day quarantine — all of them — so we can ensure that the virus will not be transmitted.]
Caloocan City Mayor Oscar Malapitan said the 300 registered guests are mostly from other cities. He said they will test the guests from the city.
[Translation: The PNP and the Caloocan LGU are now working together to find out which cases can be brought against the barangay captain and those who violated the IATF guidelines… The owner of the resort will also be charged.]
The resort owner also received a tongue lashing from Vergeire for allowing its business to open.
“Ang kababayan natin ay pupunta diyan kung papayag kayo, eh binuksan natin kaya nakapasok ang mga tao at nakapagswimming at nakapagsaya. Ito ay mali. Hindi natin ito ito-tolerate.
He said those who went to the resort may be punished as well.
[Translation: People will go there if you allow it. You opened it so people went there to swim and enjoy. This is wrong. We will not tolerate this.]
Malapitan said the owner of the resort and the barangay captain overseeing the area will have to face criminal and administrative complaints, respectively. He said the business permit of Gubat sa Ciudad resort will be permanently revoked following the violation, adding the final notice will be served on Monday.
Año said he found it difficult to believe the owner who said they didn’t know the resort was open.
“Ang second step namin, nireready na namin, magfa-file kami ng criminal offense dito sa owner ng establishment. RA11332 (Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act) … At nagfile din ako ng administrative complaint sa barangay captain na sumasakop noong establishment,” he told CNN Philippines.
[Translation: Our next step is to file criminal offense against the owner. We are preparing to file it for violation of the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act… I also filed an administrative complaint against the barangay captain.]
“Mahirap naman yatang reason, kung ikaw ang may-ari, hindi mo alam na bukas ‘yung resort mo. Parang, hindi ‘yan tumutugma sa logic. Siyempre, ikaw ang may-ari niyan e, and it is your responsibility,” said Año.
Mayor Malapitan is, however, off the hook according to Interior Department.
“So far no. Mayor Malapitan has been doing all the appropriate actions including legal since yesterday. He is also closely coordinating with my office. The barangay captain and other officials will be held liable on this,” DILG spokesman Jonathan Malaya said.
[Translation: If you are the owner and you don’t know that your resort is open, that is a strange reason. It defies logic. You are the owner and it is your responsibility.]
















