
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 14)— The OCTA Research group on Wednesday recommended the strict enforcement of mandatory quarantine period for returning Filipinos amid threats of new COVID-19 variants in other countries.
In an interview with CNN Philippines, OCTA fellow Dr. Guido David pushed for a 14-day isolation — or even longer — for countrymen coming from abroad to prevent a further rise in cases.
“We echoed that recommendation to have mandatory 14-day or even longer quarantine period,” David told Balitaan.
“I know medyo costly ‘yung to have quarantines, and medyo nakakapagod for our returning Filipinos,” he added. “Pero at the same time, we cannot allow a surge to happen because we are not willing to make tough decisions.”
[Translation: I know it’s costly to have quarantines, and this would be tiring for our returning Filipinos… But at the same time, we cannot allow a surge to happen because we are not willing to make tough decisions.]
David was reacting to reports that a new coronavirus variant detected in France was more difficult to detect through standard tests.
Media company France 24 reported in March that French authorities are investigating a new variant found in the western Brittany region — but noted that it currently “does not appear to be more dangerous or contagious.”
David, meanwhile, pointed out that a mandatory quarantine has been a standard practice even in other countries.
In response, the Health Department maintained that the quarantine policy is already being practiced in coordination with local government units.
DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire explained that all incoming travelers, once tested negative after the 5th or 6th day of quarantine, will be endorsed to their respective LGUs to ensure the completion of their 14-day isolation period.
“Atin po talagang kinausap ang local government (units) that they really have to enforce the continuation of this 14-day quarantine of these travelers so we can assure na walang kakalat na sakit doon sa kanilang lugar,” Vergeire said in a separate media forum.
[Translation: We really told the local government that they really have to enforce the continuation of this 14-day quarantine of these travelers so we can assure that the disease will not spread in their area.]
The country has so far recorded cases of the COVID-19 variants first detected in the United Kingdom, South Africa, and Brazil. The Health Department also logged cases of the P.3 variant first discovered in the Philippines.
RELATED: DOH detects 192 new cases of COVID-19 variant from South Africa, 190 from three other variants
Overall, the Philippines has listed over 890,000 COVID-19 cases as of Wednesday.
















