
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 9) — At least 37 congressmen filed a resolution calling for a House probe to look into almost half of the ₱140-billion funds that remain unreleased under the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act or Bayanihan 2.
Lawmakers filed House Resolution 1558 on Monday calling on the House Committee on Public Accounts to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation on the “unreleased and unutilized appropriations” on Bayanihan 2 by the Department of Budget and Management. Its copy was made available to the media on Tuesday.
“The economy cannot afford slow implementation of government relief programs that have already been approved and authorized, especially as the World Bank and other international institutions warn that the country will recover more slowly than its peers in the East Asia and the Pacific Region,” the resolution read.
Bayanihan 2 authorized a total of ₱165.5 billion in emergency relief and spending to finance the country’s pandemic response and recovery, with ₱140 billion falling under regular appropriations and ₱25.5 billion serving as standby funds.
AAMBIS-OWA Party-list Representative Sharon Garin, a member of the bicameral conference committee on Bayanihan 2, raised concern on the delayed disbursement of the funds.
With 4.5 million working Filipinos at risk of losing their jobs, the inquiry would shed light on possible solutions to address this danger and the country’s dismal economic performance, she said in a statement.
Citing the report of the Office of the President issued last November 2020, the lawmaker said only ₱76.2 billion of the ₱140-billion fund has been released.
“The pandemic is now only a month shy from reaching its first year and the country still reeling from the impact of an economic nosedive. If we don’t act on this, the economic revival we all hope for will not materialize,” she added.
Earlier this year, President Rodrigo Duterte signed Republic Act 11519, an act extending the validity of appropriations under the Bayanihan 2 until June 30, 2021.
READ: Duterte extends validity of 2020 budget, Bayanihan 2
In his government briefing on Monday, Presidential Spokesperson said that he “appreciates” the filing of Bayanihan 3 or the Bayanihan to Arise as One Act, a measure recently filed by Speaker Lord Allan Velasco to boost the economy amid the pandemic. However, he said the full implementation of Bayanihan 2 and other stimulus measures in place should be prioritized first.
















