Home / News / MMDA: Cinema operations may be limited to up to 30%

MMDA: Cinema operations may be limited to up to 30%

FILE PHOTO

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 19) — If President Rodrigo Duterte gives his go signal for the reopening of cinemas, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said Friday it may craft guidelines where capacity would be limited to 20% or 30%.

MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said in a virtual news conference that majority of Metro Manila mayors have voted against the reopening of cinemas in the region amid fears of possible spread of the virus.

“In case na ‘yan po ay papayagan ng ating pangulo, gagawa po tayo ng guidelines. Siguro instead of 50% capacity, nasa 20% to 30% capacity,” he said.

[Translation: In case that will be approved by the president, we will craft guidelines. Maybe instead of 50% capacity, we will implement 20% to 30%.]

The IATF last week announced the resumption of operations of movie theaters, game arcades, and other leisure activities in GCQ areas.

However, Metro Manila mayors expressed disapproval of the decision.

READ: Metro Manila mayors wary of reopening cinemas

In a Palace briefing earlier this week, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the reopening of cinemas may be deferred to March 1.

“Kinakailangan po ipagpatuloy ang consultations at kinakailangan po bumuo ng guidelines ang mga lokal na pamahalaan bago po mabuksan ang mga sinehan. Sana po malinaw ito,” Roque said that time.

[Translation: There is a need to continue consultations and craft guidelines before we reopen cinemas. I hope this is clear.]

In the same briefing on Friday, Trade Chief Ramon Lopez showed support to the decision of IATF as this will generate jobs.

“When we talk of cinemas, arcades, kung hindi comfortable lalo na ang LGUs, mag-start tayo sa 20%, 30%. [Kapag nagbukas] may trabaho ‘yung ticket persons, janitors, mga tao na nagmamanage doon,” Lopez said.

[Translation: When we talk of cinemas, arcades, if LGUs are not comfortable, we can start with 20%, 30% capacity. (If they would be allowed to operate again), this will mean jobs for ticket persons, janitors, individuals who will manage the cinemas.]

Lopez stressed that while cinemas are open in MGCQ areas, they recorded “no spike” in COVID-19 cases.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: