Home / News / LOOK: Strong Luzon quake damages historic sites

LOOK: Strong Luzon quake damages historic sites

Potions of the centuries-old Bantay Bell Tower in Ilocos Sur crumble due to the magnitude 7.0-quake that was felt in parts of Luzon on Wednesday, July 27.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, July 27) — Some historic sites and tourist attractions were not spared by the magnitude 7 quake that shook Luzon on Wednesday morning.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the epicenter of the quake was recorded 14 kilometers northwest of Tayum, Abra at 8:43 a.m. The tremor was also strongly felt in Metro Manila and other provinces, and even damaged iconic structures preserved due to their cultural heritage value.

READ: 7.0-magnitude quake hits northern Luzon, aftershocks possible 

Bantay Bell Tower, Bantay, Ilocos Sur

Photos and videos on social media showed portions of the centuries-old Bantay Bell Tower crumbling due to the tremor. First built in 1591, it was said to have served as the people’s watchtower, part of the town’s defense to alert residents against possible enemies.

Santa Ana Beach Area

Vigan Cathedral, heritage houses along Calle Crisologo in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur

The Vigan Cathedral, canonically known as the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Conversion of St. Paul the Apostle, and part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site declaration for the city in 1999, was also damaged by the quake.

A video retrieved by CNN Philippines shows the upper portion of the cathedral’s wall that was partially chipped off due to the tremor. Photos on social media also show some heritage houses along Calle Crisologo that were partially damaged, while some have portions that collapsed.

Meanwhile, the Department of Tourism (DOT) reported that the side wall and windows of the Syquia House, an ancestral home-turned-museum in Vigan, also collapsed due to the quake while Hotel Linda had minor damage.

Cracks can be seen in the ceiling of the Santa Maria Church, or the Nuestra Señora de la Asunción church, located in Santa Maria in Ilocos Sur, which was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993. The 99-meter-tall Baroque-inspired church was built in 1765 by the Augustinians.

Santa Maria Church, Santa Maria, Ilocos Sur

Sen. Imee Marcos, who was previously a governor of Ilocos Norte, said the Sinking Bell Tower in Laoag City was also destroyed, and the center of the city might be cordoned off as debris continues to fall from the bell tower.

The tower, which stands 45 meters tall, was built by the Augustinians in 1612.

Meanwhile, Senator Marcos also said a church and the heritage municipal hall in Sarrat, Ilocos Norte were damaged by the quake. CNN Philippines is gathering more information to verify the extent of the damage as of writing.

This story will be updated as more information comes in on the quake’s damage.

Sinking Bell Tower, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte

San Lorenzo Ruiz Shrine, Bangued, Abra

The left belfry of the San Lorenzo Ruiz Shrine also collapsed due to the quake. It is one of the oldest heritage churches in the town, known for its red brick details. Built during the Spanish era, it currently serves as a cemetery chapel for locals.

Multiple ground faulting is visible in the Santa Ana Beach Area, a favorite tourist spot in Ilocos Sur, the DOT said.

Sta. Catalina de Alexandria Church, Abra

A 19th century baroque church declared a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines in 2001, Sta. Catalina de Alexandria Church was also not spared from damage caused by the major quake.

The DOT reported that Lafaayette Luxury Suites Hotel and Crown Legacy, accommodation establishments in Baguio City, had minor cracks. The department said visitors will not be accepted for the meantime to ensure everyone’s safety.

Properties owned and managed by DOT’s infrastructure arm, Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA), also reported damage.

The riprap and ceiling of the Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel in Ifugao partially collapsed, according to the agency’s initial report, while the ceiling in the fireplace and lobby area of Mt. Data Hotel in Bauko, Mt. Province also collapsed. Hotel decorations were also damaged.

TIEZA said all bookings will be canceled in both hotels until a thorough assessment has been done.

Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco expressed concern and sympathy to those affected by the major quake.

“We will request TIEZA to prioritize assessment of the cultural treasures affected by the recent earthquake recognizing the need to protect and sustain our heritage and cultural treasures for the benefit and welfare of our future generations,” she added.

Baguio accommodation establishments

TIEZA properties

“The Department will extend whatever help it can to tourism stakeholders and establishments that have been directly affected by this incident. I have requested the DOT regional offices in Northern Luzon to continue with the assessment of the extent of the damage and to immediately submit the report for our appropriate actions and assistance,” Frasco said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: