Metro Manila, Philippines – Malacañang rejected claims that the Senate was “under attack” in last week’s standoff involving the reported attempt to serve an International Criminal Court arrest warrant against Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.
Speaking at a Palace briefing, Palace press officer Claire Castro dismissed what a senator called a “Senate siege.”
“Senate siege? Was it under attack? It was not, the Senate was not under attack,” Castro said on Monday, May 18.
“Makikita naman ito sa mga balita, hindi lamang sa mga pahayag ng NBI at PNP. Si Senator Allan Cayetano lamang ang nagsabi niyan,” she said.
[Translation: You can see that from the news, not only from the statements of the NBI [National Bureau of Investigation] and PNP [Philippine National Police]. It was only the statement made by Senator Allan Cayetano.]
““Sa panig ng gobyerno, hindi kailanman inatake ang Senado,” Castro said.
[Translation: As far as we are concerned, as far as the government is concerned, the Senate was never under attack.]
When asked if the statement also reflected President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s position, Castro replied: “Of course.”
Malacañang also defended the actions of the NBI, saying authorities were blocked from carrying out the operation.
“I-correct po natin ito ha, there was no failure on the part of the NBI agents. Hinarang sila,” Castro said.
[Translation: Let us correct that, there was no failure on the part of the NBI agents. They were blocked.]
The Palace earlier said the government continues to recognize the reported ICC warrant as valid while awaiting the Supreme Court ruling on petitions related to Dela Rosa’s case.















