
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 18) — Inmate Michael Cataroja was reportedly able to escape the national penitentiary casually after impersonating a visitor and copying the prison’s stamp manually on his arm, a Philippine National Police (PNP) official said Friday.
New Bilibid Prison (NBP) inmate Cataroja, who had been missing since July 15, was recaptured by police in Rizal province on Thursday.
PNP APC-Southern Luzon Commander LtGen Rhoderick Armamento said Cataroja was able to pass through security after copying NBP’s visitor stamp on his arm using a ballpen.
“Pinag-aralan niya ‘yung movement ng mga visitors and then napansin niya na may tinatak na parang rubber stamp…Ginaya nya yung parang rectangle na rubber stamp, itinatak nya sa braso niya,” Armamento said.
[Translation: He studied the movement of the visitors and then he noticed that something was stamped like a rubber stamp… He imitated the rectangle-like rubber stamp, stamped it on his arm]The officer added that Cataroja also looked for a visitor with the same height and body size as him and used the false name of “Julius Villanueva.Cataroja reportedly walked half a day, traversing EDSA to reach Cainta, where he hid since his escape.He was found after authorities received a tip regarding his location.
Senate probe on security breach
The Senate committee currently investigating the reported “mass grave” will now turn its focus on the NBP security after Cataroja’s arrest
“Matutuon ngayon ang hearing ng Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights kung paano nakatakas si PDL (person deprived of liberty) Michael Cataroja at kung ano ang naging kapabayaan ng BuCor (Bureau of Corrections),” panel chair Senator Francis Tolentino said Friday.
[Translation: The hearing of the Senate Committee on Justice and Human Rights will now focus on how PDL Michael Cataroja escaped and the negligence of the BuCor]
The BuCor earlier launched a “full-blown investigation” on the 25-year-old inmate’s escape from the national penitentiary in Muntinlupa City.
Cataroja has been turned over to NBP’s maximum security compound, according to the bureau.
BuCor Director General Gregorio Catapang said that all angles surrounding the escape of Cataroja will be investigated by the Board of Inquiry so “as not to leave any stone unturned.”
Cataroja is expected to return to NBP within the day, right after the inquest process in Rizal.
Tolentino’s panel last week initiated a motu proprio inquiry on the alleged discovery of a mass grave inside the national penitentiary after some “bone fragments” were unearthed in the said location.
RELATED: House probe on discovery of human remains in Bilibid septic tank set next week
The piece of bone found in the septic tank was later reported as not of human origin, according to the National Bureau of Investigation.
Tolentino said the committee will be tackling the NBP’s security breach issue on the hearing on Tuesday, Aug. 22
CNN Philippines Senior Correspondent Anjo Alimario contributed to this report.














