
(CNN Philippines) — As the United States prepares for the presidential inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump next January, President Rodrigo Duterte said he will continue to pursue an independent foreign policy for the Philippines.
“My partnership with China and the rest of the ASEAN remains. I sail the state of the nation and it should be pushed by the self-interest of our nation only,” he said during his arrival speech in Davao City following visits to Thailand and Malaysia.
Nevertheless, Duterte said that the relationship between the Philippines and the U.S. will remain “as is.” Duterte said that all the treaties and agreements “will be honored.”
But Duterte also reiterated his opposition to the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) between the U.S. and the Philippines, despite the fact that he had given the go-signal for it last Monday.
“In every military exercise, it is only America who learns much—kokonti lang sa Filipino [Filipino troops learn very little].”
Duterte explained, he gave the go-signal for the joint exercises because the Defense Department and U.S. officials had already “firmed up” the arrangement. “I said I do not want na mapahiya ang Pilipinas… Sabi ko oh sige, but this will be the last time.”
[Translation: I said I do not want to embarrass the Philippines. I said yes, but this will be the last time.]
“I expect that by the time I end my term, I do not want to see any… foreign military troops in my country,” he added.
The EDCA is a military agreement between the Philippines and the U.S. that seeks to develop the country’s capability for external defense, maritime domain awareness, and humanitarian and disaster response.
Duterte said the Philippines does not need other countries to train Filipino soldiers. “We do not need anybody to train the Filipino soldier. By themselves, they are warriors and capable of a conventional war.”
















