Home / News / Mayor Junjun’s dismissal order signals end of Binay dynasty – Trillanes

Mayor Junjun’s dismissal order signals end of Binay dynasty – Trillanes

Senator Trillanes (L) said the order to boot out Mayor Junjun (R) heralded the end of the Binay hegemony in Makati.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV said on Friday (October 9) that the Ombudsman’s order to dismiss suspended Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. was a sign that the family’s sway over the country’s financial capital was coming to an end.

“The fight was long, difficult and bitter but, in the end, truth and justice prevailed. The Ombudsman’s order signals the end of the Binay dynasty,” Trillanes said.

Trillanes belongs to a Senate Blue Ribbon Subcommittee which has been conducting a yearlong probe into alleged anomalous transactions involving the Binay family including the alleged overpriced construction cost of Makati City Hall Building II and Makati Science High School .

Related: More corruption allegations vs VP Binay

The Binays, on the other hand, had filed libel complaints against the senator.

Related: Mayor Binay sues Sen. Trillanes for libel

Vice President Jejomar Binay, the mayor’s father, had been Makati chief executive for 20 years, after being appointed as officer-in-charge after the 1986 Edsa People Power revolution.

His wife, Dr. Elenita Binay, and Junjun alternated as mayor when the Binay patriarch reached the three-consecutive-term limit.

Trillanes, in various interviews, had maintained that he would not stop probing into the alleged wrongdoings of the Binays until they end up behind bars.

“I only hope it would lead to a new era of good governance in Makati,” Trillanes said.

Related: Trillanes: I will not relent until the Binays are behind bars

Meanwhile, Makati Rep. Abigail Binay — Junjun’s sister — said her family would file a motion for reconsideration before the the Office of the Ombudsman or go to the Court of Appeals to question the dismissal decision.

‘ ’23’: ‘image’: ‘jcr:6eb23789-63a9-43aa-99bd-b7b0f26ee9f2’ ‘imageCaption’: ‘Rep. Abigail Binay said that should her brother won’t be able

Rep. Binay noted that the timing of the order was very suspicious given it was released late Friday afternoon and just a few days before the filing of certificates of candidacy.

She said that should her brother won’t be able to run for re-election, then she might take his place and also run for Makati mayor.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: