
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Anticipating a rise in the construction of illegal deep wells due to the El Niño-spawned dry spell, the government is intensifying its crackdown against the activity, Environment Secretary Ramon Paje said on Thursday (September 24).
Paje urged the public to report cases of unauthorized extraction of water from deep wells as it causes groundwater depletion in Metro Manila and nearby areas, a statement from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said.
“Groundwater extraction is strictly prohibited throughout Metro Manila and certain parts of Bulacan and Cavite provinces, and extraction in other areas in the country are regulated by the NWRB (National Water Resources Board),” he said adding that the DENR is already on the lookout for existing and yet to be constructed deep wells that are not sanctioned by the NWRB.
In particular, the NWRB has imposed a total ban on deep water drilling in the following areas:
Metro Manila
Guiguinto, Bulacan
Bocaue, Bulacan
Marilao, Bulacan
Meycauayan, Bulacan
Dasmariñas, Cavite
Cause of land subsidence
A field study conducted by the Consultants for Engineering and Science and Technology (CEST) identified the groundwater levels at the said areas as “critical.” The study was commissioned by the NWRB in 2004.
The study revealed that groundwater extraction was a major reason why floods take longer to subside in the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela.
It also noted that severe water extraction from groundwater is also causing seawater intrusion into groundwater as well as land subsidence, which could damage buildings, bridges and highways due to sudden changes in ground elevation.
As secretary of the DENR, Paje also serves as the chairman of the NWRB, which coordinates and regulates all water-related activities in the country that have impact on the physical environment and the economy.
Paje had already instructed all DENR and field offices nationwide to be ready to receive inquiries and complaints about illegal deep wells and coordinate with concerned local government units and district offices of the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) for proper action.
Related: Enhanced flooding in Metro Manila: Water rising, ground sinking according to scientists
From 2008 to 2013, a total of 1,008 illegal or abandoned deep wells were shut down by the NWRB.
Paje said the public can report illegal deep well constructions through the following NWRB hotlines: (02) 928-2365 and (02) 920-2641.
















