
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — A number of cities in the country took part in the nationwide simultaneous earthquake drill on Thursday morning (July 23)
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) spearheaded the quake drill in Bonifacio Global City in Taguig at around 9:00 a.m.
Workers from two construction sites were evacuated and rescue teams simulated giving medical attention to injured persons.
The Bureau of Fire Protection demonstrated rescuing people from buildings and putting out of fires, while the Department of Public Works and Highways cleared debris off streets.
Related: What to expect during the Metro Manila Shake Drill
In the Cordillera Region, various agencies, schools and private institutions embraced the principle of “Duck, Cover and Hold.”
The drill was conducted in Baguio city at the Baguio City National High School, Baguio Central University, Golden Heart Pre-School and the Philippine Economic Zone Authority.
Over 10,000 students of Baguio City National High School were tasked to move out of the buildings to their evacuation areas at the parking grounds of the biggest public high school in Baguio.
Meanwhile, the drill in Cebu City took place at the University of Cebu (UC).
In its initial assessment, the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) in Cebu said the crowd failed to meet the desired evacuation period of 10 to 15 minutes by about two minutes, although it said this is still “allowable.”
Disaster officials also noted that the evacuation route needs to be improved because UC is near hotels and other structures, which in a real earthquake could pose hazards to evacuees due to broken glass pieces.
Also read: What are the essential items in a survival kit?
Two schools in Zamboanga City also participated in the nationwide earthquake drill.
According to OCD Regional Director Emilia Julhajan, the Don Pablo Lorenzo Memorial High School, one of two schools that participated, has improved in terms of responding to an earthquake scenario this year as compared to last year.
The school was able to surpass its time of one minute 15 seconds of evacuating the structure.
Among the school’s strengths is the knowledge of students of basic life support and emergency response, said Julhajan.
Thousands of pupils from the Cotabato City Central Pilot Elementary School took part in the Nationwide Simultaneous Earth Drill as well.
Members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Laoag City and other police stations and government offices in Ilocos Norte also participated.
Police Supt. Jeffrey Gorospe, chief of police of Laoag, led the exercises as part of the disaster preparedness measures of the city’s police force.
Gorospe said PNP members should be knowledgeable of measures to reduce risks in the event of earthquakes.












