
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — The death of Andal Ampatuan Sr. will not affect the cases filed against those involved in the Maguindanao massacre, Justice Usec. Francisco Baraan said on Saturday (July 18).
Baraan said that aside from Andal Sr., there were still over a hundred other suspects that may still be held criminally liable for the 2009 mass killing.
Andal Sr.’s criminal liability, however, had already been extinguished by his death, but once there would be a guilty verdict on other suspects and the judgment included a finding that Andal Sr. committed wrongful acts, the court can order that the property left behind by the Ampatuan patriarch can be taken and sold by the government.
The proceeds would then be given to the relatives of the victims to answer for the monetary damages awarded by the court.
The former governor and alleged brains behind the infamous Maguindanao massacre passed away on Friday night (July 17).
Related: Andal Apmatuan Sr. kin: May his death bring peace












