DPWH temporarily bars foreign travel for employees amid flood control probe
Metro Manila, Philippines - The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) suspended applications for foreign travel authority for personal reasons, except for urgent medical needs, amid the investigation into the government’s flood-control projects.
In a letter dated Aug. 29, Public Works Secretary Manuel Bonoan said the order takes effect immediately until Nov. 2025 or “unless circumstances warrant earlier lifting of the suspension or further extension.”
Bonoan said suspending travel authority bids are “in line with the commitment to transparency, accountability, and public service integrity.”
The DPWH chief said his order is compliant with the rules of the Civil Service Commission that said travel authority is discretionary and not automatic.
The order came in the wake of a directive from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to conduct lifestyle checks among government officials, focusing with DPWH personnel, amid corruption allegations on the government’s infrastructure projects.
Malacañang said on Friday, the president is ready for a lifestyle check, while a number of lawmakers also backed Marcos’ directive.
Last week, DPWH district engineer Abelardo Calalo was arrested in an entrapment operation for allegedly attempting to bribe Batangas 1st District Rep. Leandro Leviste up to ₱360 million in kickback from infrastructure projects. Calalo was freed on bail on Aug. 28.
Some groups and lawmakers have earlier urged the DPWH chief to step down from his post amid the flood-control controversy.
NewsWatch Plus correspondent Lance Mejico contributed to this report.