Metro Manila, Philippines – The formal impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte will begin on July 6, two senators said.
Minority lawmakers Vicente Sotto III and Erwin Tulfo shared the information, after the caucus among colleagues led by Senate President Alan Cayetano on Wednesday, May 20.
Sotto said on July 6, the trial will be scheduled at 2 p.m. from Mondays to Wednesdays. He added Thursdays will be reserved for motion days.
Should the trial extend after the president’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 27, Sotto said proceedings will be held at 3 p.m. from Tuesdays to Thursdays.
In an interview with reporters, Tulfo said the Senate will hold sessions on Monday morning and on Thursdays.
In a statement on Thursday, May 21, House trial spokesperson Zia Adiong said the prosecution team has yet to receive a formal notice on the schedule.
“Nevertheless, the 11-member prosecution panel remains fully prepared and stands ready to proceed on whatever schedule the Honorable Court may determine,” he said.
NewsWatch Plus has reached out to Duterte’s defense team for comment.
The Senate, sitting as an Impeachment Court, previously issued summons to Duterte to respond to the Articles of Impeachment submitted by the House of Representatives.
The House prosecution team has five days to reply upon receipt of Duterte’s response. After this, the Senate will schedule a pre-trial where parties may submit evidence to be used for proper trial.
A total of 257 lawmakers voted to impeach Duterte over allegations of corruption, unexplained wealth, and threats to the presidential family. The vice president has skipped all the House hearings and challenged the legality of the proceedings before the Supreme Court.
Online voting
Meanwhile, Tulfo rejected brewing discussions to allow senators to cast their votes remotely.
This comes amid the possibility that Sen. Bato dela Rosa cannot participate in the proceedings, as he faces an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity linked to the Duterte administration’s drug war.
Last week, Sen. Rodante Marcoleta, a known Duterte ally, moved to amend the Senate rules to add “justifiable reasons” as grounds for a senator to participate in a session through electronic means.
Current rules only permit such scenarios under force majeure and a declaration of national emergency.
Tulfo said the minority will block moves to allow senators to vote online.
“Parang gusto nila kahit saan ka pwedeng bumoto. Unfair naman iyon sa pumasok so obligado kang pumasok…Hindi lulusot iyan dahil ang minority sigurado akong ‘di boboto diyan,” he said.
[Translation: It seems like they want people to be able to vote anywhere. That’s unfair to those who still have to report to work, so you’re basically forced to go in… That won’t pass because I’m sure the minority won’t vote for it.]
Lead House prosecutor Jinky Luistro also dismissed the proposal.
“If it’s for the impeachment process, my personal opinion is the senator judges should be personally present. This is paramount because this is a constitutional mandate. They should be present to have a correct appreciation of all the evidence to be presented,” she said in a press briefing on May 19.















