Home / Plus Picks / China raises concerns over alleged discrimination, detention conditions of 69 nationals

China raises concerns over alleged discrimination, detention conditions of 69 nationals

Metro Manila, Philippines –  China has raised concerns over what it described as possible “discriminatory law enforcement” and the detention conditions faced by 69 Chinese nationals who were arrested during a government raid on a steel company in Misamis Oriental last week.

Chinese Embassy Deputy Chief of Mission Zhou Zhiyong told reporters in a press briefing on Wednesday, why Filipino workers at the facility were released while all Chinese nationals taken during the operation remained under government custody.

“This to us raises the suspicion of discrimination, discriminatory law enforcement practice,” Zhou said.

The 69 Chinese nationals were arrested during a May 15 joint operation at Philippine Sanjia-Steel Corporation in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental involving the National Bureau of Investigation, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission, Philippine National Police and other government agencies.

Authorities earlier said the operation uncovered alleged violations involving hazardous materials, labor standards, immigration regulations and consumer protection laws. 

Officials also raised concerns over the plant’s proximity to a naval facility.

Chinese workers ‘not illegal’

Zhou rejected allegations that the Chinese workers were undocumented, saying all of them possessed valid permits allowing them to work in the Philippines.

“These are not illegal workers,” Zhou said.

“They are Chinese workers issued with proper visa or work permit to be hired by a Filipino company,” he added. 

According to the Chinese diplomat, 57 of the detained workers held Special Work Permits issued by the Bureau of Immigration, while 12 others possessed other work visas.

He said the embassy had already relayed its concerns to Philippine authorities and requested clarification on the legal grounds for the workers’ continued detention.

The embassy official also confirmed that it has sent letters or demarches to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on the matter. 

“Since they work here legally, they hold legal visas or work permits, we request the Filipino authorities to clarify the legal ground of their continued detention,” Zhou said.

Questions over treatment

The Chinese Embassy also raised concerns over the conditions inside the detention facility where the workers are being held.

Zhou said embassy officials were only able to conduct a consular visit after what he described as repeated representations with Philippine authorities.

According to Zhou, some of the detainees complained about overcrowding and poor living conditions.

“They complained to us they couldn’t sleep,” Zhou said.

He claimed that 13 male detainees were allegedly being held inside a small room measuring only around five to six square meters.

“How could they sleep? They didn’t even have enough space to lie down,” he added.

The diplomat urged Philippine authorities to ensure the workers are treated humanely while investigations continue.

“We urge the Philippine side to deal with the case in strict accordance with the law, in a fair and just manner, and ensure the humane treatment of Chinese citizens while they are in detention,” Zhou said.

“If the investigation shows that the Chinese workers are in no violation of Philippine law, we hope they can be released as soon as possible,” he added.

Zhou also questioned why more than 300 Filipino workers who were reportedly present at the facility during the operation were later released, while all Chinese nationals remained detained.

According to the Chinese diplomat, around 400 workers were inside the compound during the raid, including 69 Chinese nationals and more than 300 Filipinos.

“All the Filipino co-workers were released on the same day,” Zhou said.

“If you say they are all suspects, they are all workers of the same company suspected of producing hazardous materials, everybody should be taken into custody,” he added.

“Our question is why all the 69 Chinese workers were detained while over 300 Filipino co-workers were released.”

Zhou said the embassy viewed the situation as a possible case of unequal treatment targeting Chinese nationals.

The Chinese diplomat said the embassy had written to Philippine agencies, including the DFA, to formally raise concerns over the arrests and detention conditions.

Asked whether China had filed a diplomatic protest, Zhou said Beijing handled the matter differently.

Zhou added that the embassy was still waiting for responses from Philippine authorities.

NewsWatch Plus has sought comment from the DFA.

The PAOCC earlier said the operation reflected the government’s commitment to enforcing Philippine laws, protecting Filipino workers and addressing activities that may threaten public safety and national security.

Authorities said the arrested individuals are facing allegations involving violations of the Philippine Nuclear Energy and Safety Act, the Labor Code, immigration laws and the Consumer Act.

In response, Zhou said the company had reportedly been operating since 2018 and argued that authorities could have addressed concerns differently if they believed the location posed security risks.

“If it’s a national security issue, you can talk to the company and ask them to move,” Zhou said.

“They were already there before you built the naval dock there,” he added.

Despite raising those concerns, Zhou said China’s priority remained the welfare of its nationals.

“Our concern is the protection of our citizens,” he said.

“The Philippine government should treat our citizens with decency and protection because we are two equal sovereign nations,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: