Home / News / PH maintains one-China policy, not interfering in Taiwan –  Marcos

PH maintains one-China policy, not interfering in Taiwan –  Marcos

Metro Manila, Philippines – The Philippine government upholds its long-standing One China policy and is not interfering on issues involving Taiwan, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said amid growing regional tensions in the Indo-Pacific.

In an interview with Japanese media organizations in Malacanang on Monday, May 18, Marcos reiterated Manila’s position while stressing the importance of maintaining peace and avoiding conflict in the region.

“The Philippines has, from the very start, always held a One-China policy,” Marcos said, “…and we will continue to do that.”

The president said the Philippines does not interfere in what it considers an internal matter between China and Taiwan, which the mainland considers a renegade province.

However, Marcos said the Philippines remains deeply concerned over tensions surrounding Taiwan because of its proximity to northern Luzon and the presence of nearly 200,000 Filipinos living and working in Taiwan.

“We certainly do not want to be part of any conflict,” Marcos said.

“Just looking at the map, you can tell that the northern Philippines at the very least is going to be part of that or will feel the effects,” he added.

The president said the Philippines only participates in international missions for peacekeeping purposes, “not to go with hostile intent to any other place in the world.”

In an interview in India’s “Firstpost” last year, Marcos said the Philippines would inevitably be drawn into a potential China-Taiwan conflict.

The president said that aside from defending Philippine territory, the government would prioritize evacuating Filipinos from the self-governing island.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: