
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Barely two years after Typhoon Yolanda battered Tacloban and Samar, some victims have already begun recovering.
But much has yet to be done. Other victims have yet to receive help from the government.
Safety experts say Typhoon Yolanda’s destruction was a lesson learned the hard way.
Before Typhoon Yolanda struck, local government officials had difficulty asking residents to evacuate. But now, that situation has changed.
“Comparing people now and before, this time, we are receiving reports that there are individuals and families who go to the evacuation center earlier on even before the warning of the local government units,” Romina Marasigan, spokesperson of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) says.
“So I think people are now understanding the importance of preparedness, mitigation and prevention,” she adds.
Marasigan adds, disaster response funds are now divided into 70% for mitigation and preparedness and 30% for response.
“Funds are actually being judiciously spent by our government just to make sure that there are not only equipment, not only food packs, not only medicines, but also people who are skilled to be there and provide the assistance to them.”
‘Room for improvement’
Under the law, local disaster risk reduction and management council offices have permanents posts so standard strategies can be laid out and mainstreamed.
Safety expert Martin Aguda says these initiatives are good, but there’s still room for improvement.
He adds that more than hiring permanent disaster managers, it’s best to find competent people to handle emergencies.
“Since the DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction) law was passed it should be a priority, madali kasi to appoint people to DRR posts. Ang tanong what are the competencies.”
[Translation: Since the DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction) law was passed it should be a priority. It’s easy to appoint people to DRR posts, but the question is whether they are competent to perform the task.]
And while purchasing emergency equipment is a good idea, Aguda says the government should also weed out corruption in the purchasing process.
“Makakakita ka diyan ng fire extinguishers na substandard, because they are being dictated upon by the inspectors to get fire extinguishers from a specific supplier.”
[Translation: You will see substandard fire extinguishers, because they are being dictated upon by the inspectors to get fire extinguishers from a specific supplier.]
“Actually, yun ang nakakainis e. These are basic safety equipment pero parang pinaglalaruan pa rin tayo.”
[Translation: It’s irritating. These are basic safety equipment but we are being played at.]
Setting standards
Aguda says all these boil down to strict implementation of the law, especially in the case of a possible 7.2 magnitude quake that could strike Metro Manila, which is projected to result in 33,000 fatalities.
In case of such an earthquake, officials say evacuation camps have already been identified and goods have been prepositioned, something learned from Typhoon Yolanda’s aftermath.
A nationwide earthquake drill has also been set on July 30.
“Even people here in [Metro Manila] would be victims, there will be people coming in from the outside who are already informed that they are going to do this. Who are already provided with protocols on how they would be undertaking the disaster response,” Marasigan says.
Aguda also suggests that disaster officials should implement standards for evacuation camp needs, such as finding adequate water supply, ample stock of basic necessities, and enough space.
Roads and passage for rescuers and emergency responders must also be identified. Volunteers and trained personnel must be clustered according to their expertise — for easier and faster emergency response.
“You have to layout the scenario, because it’s being realistic. How many will be injured? Thousands will be injured, you might be hearing setting up field hospitals would that be enough, with the thousands injured?” Aguda says.
“We’re hearing many will be displaced, 3,000 will be homeless and they have identified through the Oplan Yakal, several evacuation areas per quadrant is that enough? If you’ve seen Oplan Yakal hindi pa nakaincorporate yan,” he adds.
[Translation: We’re hearing many will be displaced, 3,000 will be homeless and they have identified through the Oplan Yakal, several evacuation areas per quadrant is that enough? If you’ve seen Oplan Yakal that aspect is not incorporated yet.]
Capacity building
Albay Province, one of the most disaster-prone areas in the country, is a role model for disaster risk management and prevention.
Its Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office regularly updates data on hazards and risk assessment.
Albay also invests in strengthening infrastructures to prevent damage when a calamity strikes.
“Kasi dapat safe route, safe evacuation center, I did not see the safe routes in Metro Manila. One, kapag lumindol saan ka dadaan? Tapos yung mga evacuation center mukhang pinagtuturo lang. Aba kailangan mong gawin yan hindi yan basta puwede kayo sa golf course,” Albay Governor Joey Salceda says.
[Translation: You should have a safe route and a safe evacuation center. I did not see safe routes in Metro Manila. For one, if an earthquake strikes where will you pass? And you must also build evacuation centers and not just put people in a golf course.]
He adds the provincial government conducts training on risk reduction in schools and local communities.
The province also has early warning systems and emergency management equipment in place.












