Home / regional / 7 feared dead in Semirara landslide

7 feared dead in Semirara landslide

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Three miners had been confirmed dead while four others remained missing after a landslide hit a coal mine in Semirara Island in Antique early Friday morning (July 17).

In a text message to CNN Philippines, Antique Governor Rhodora Cadiao said those missing had been presumed dead — adding that 8 workers survived the mishap at the Panian pit of the mining company.

Meanwhile, Ricky Lavega, a representative of the provincial government said the landslide happened around 4 a.m.

Those confirmed dead were Ricardo Panes, Arnold Umac and a certain Nodo, all heavy equipment operators.

Lavega said the weather was fine and there was no rain since the other day on the island, contrary to an earlier report that steady rain had been pouring over the area for days.

An estimated 50 people were said to be working at the coal mine for the night shift when the landslide took place.

Operated by the DM Consunji Inc. (DMCI), the Semirara coal mine operation was temporarily suspended last February 13, 2013 after a similar incident killed five workers then.

News reports said the Department of Energy (DOE) had ordered Semirara to suspend operations pending an investigation into the incident.

The management of the Semirara Mining and Power Corp. said it would be providing full support.to the families of the victims.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: