Home / News / China calls Philippines a ‘troublemaker

China calls Philippines a ‘troublemaker

Pag-asa, also internationally known as Thitu, is the stronghold of the Philippines in the disputed Spratly group of islands.

(CNN Philippines) — As the word war between the Philippines and China continues, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) brought local and foreign media men to Pag-asa Island on Monday (May 11).

Pag-asa, also internationally known as Thitu, is the stronghold of the Philippines in the disputed Spratly group of islands.

In a Reuters report, the spokesperson of China’s Foreign Ministry, Hua Chunying, said that “the situation has again proven the Philippines to be a rule violator and a troublemaker.”

“China has made clear on many occasions that it opposes the Philippines’ futile and illegal occupation,” she said.

But Vice Adm. Alexander Lopez, chief of the Armed Forces Western Command, answered that there is nothing wrong with bringing the media to the island.

Lopez added that they even brought a Chinese media man in the area to prove that the Philippines is not carrying out any developments on Pag-asa.

Related: Philippines violating sea code, says China

According to Lopez, the Philippines wants to be as transparent as it can in showing that it has been complying with the code of conduct when it comes to disputed territories in the West Philippine Sea.

“The foreign media was there, the Chinese media was there — they have seen for themselves that we aren’t doing anything and that we are compliant. In other words, they saw that we respected the provision,” Lopez said.

He also dismissed China’s claims the Philippines is illegally occupying the area.

“We did not even talk of illegal occupation because that’s a legal occupation. In so far as we are concerned, it’s a legal occupation,” Lopez explained.

China claims 90% of the entire South China Sea, overlapping the claims of other Southeast Asian countries in the area including the Philippines.

Related: Expert: China speeding up reef reclamation due to arbitration case

On June 11, 1978 President Marcos issued Presidential Decree 1596, which formally declared the Philippines’ claim over parts of the Spratlys.

Since the declaration, the Philippines has occupied islands nearest to the province of Palawan — the Kalayaan Island Group.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: