
(CNN Philippines) — Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla may be set to officially step down from office on Thursday (April 30), but he assured the public that he considered the country’s power supply before he decided to resign.
He added that he is pleased with what the Department of Energy (DOE) has accomplished for the country so far.
“I’m proud of what the people have done because it’s not me, it’s really the people of DOE,” Petilla said. “Secretaries come and go. The people of DOE stay — they’re the backbone here.”
Although Malacañan has yet to appoint a replacement, Petilla recommended that Energy Undersecretary Zenaida Monsada be put in charge in the mean time.
Meanwhile, the Palace on Wednesday (April 29) said that Petilla’s resignation should not affect the department’s public service.
According to a report by the Philippines News Agency, Malacañan stressed on “continuity in the leadership of the Department of Energy.”
“The government is assuring that there will be no delay in the delivery of basic services specially the continuous supply of energy during the summer months,” said Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said.
Petilla handed in his irrevocable resignation to President Benigno Aquino III before Holy Week — citing personal and family reasons.
While Aquino admitted that finding qualified public servants is no easy task, he said that the energy sector’s transition from one chief to another would go smoothly.
“The important announcement of the president yesterday was his assurance that there would be smooth transition on the position of the DOE secretary,” Coloma said.
Petilla’s resignation followed that of former Customs Commissioner John Sevilla.















