
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — What was supposed to be a celebration turned out to be a public relations nightmare for the administration’s Liberal Party.
A performance by a group of female dancers, the Playgirls, at the October 1 birthday celebration of Rep. Benjie Agarao of Laguna got flak from netizens.
For many, it was inappropriate and unbecoming.
The Liberal Party was dragged into the incident, which happened right before 80 new members took their oath.
LP standard bearer Manuel “Mar” Roxas II was at another part of the house – apparently unaware of what was going on.
A day after the incident, he declined to give camera interviews but issued a statement, saying he was “not part of the audience” and that his campaign “strictly prohibits any sort of exploitative behavior against women.”
Roxas stressed that this kind of behavior “will not be tolerated” and that the party had started investigating the matter.
But for political analyst Prospero de Vera, vice president for public affairs of the University of the Philippines, that was not enough.
He said: “[He should] not just condemn the exploitation of women, but more importantly, discipline the members of the Liberal Party.”
But who should be disciplined?
Right now, there are two main characters in the story: Francis Tolentino, chairman of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, who supposedly brought the girls to the party, and Agarao, the birthday celebrator himself.
Tolentino didn’t face the media.
He’s been attacked in social media, where hashtags such as #tuwadnadaan and #daangmatulis have surfaced.
There is also a photo of another dancer who is said to have been hired also by Tolentino for an event in Quezon earlier this year. Her T-shirt bore the MMDA chairman’s name.
One comment said the emcee in that event also said Tolentino had invited the group.
Agarao had earlier implied he saw nothing wrong with the girls’ number.
Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya, acting LP president, said the investigation being conducted by the party would hold people responsible for the incident.
Tolentino is not an LP member. So far, there’s no indication that this latest incident will cost him a slot in the party’s senatorial ticket.
Other LP members also spoke out.
Senate President Franklin Drilon called the incident “deplorable,” “not befitting,” and unacceptable for their members. He said those who would fail to prove to be good and morally responsible public servants would have no place in their ranks.
Reps. Henedina Abad of Batanes, Josephine Sato of Occidental Mindoro, and Kaka Bag-ao of Dinagat Islands, all female members of the LP, also condemned the incident, which they say would never be consistent with the party’s values.
Throughout their work, the LP women said they had received nothing less than utmost respect from their colleagues in the party. They also expressed support for the investigation.
But some party members are more understanding.
Rep. Neptali Gonzales III of Mandaluyong said: “Ang sinasabi nung mga iba, pagdating sa probinsya ganyan daw talaga ang kampanya. Wala naman nakalagay sa bylaws of any political party for that matter on how to conduct your parties.”
















