Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, November 29)— The Department of Health (DOH) said on Wednesday that there is “no evidence of novel pathogens” or a new infectious disease following reports of soaring respiratory illnesses among children in northern China since mid-October this year.
Citing the China National Health Commission, the DOH said the increase in respiratory illnesses was due to the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions and the start of the cold season.
\”Despite media narratives on pneumonia clusters, there is no evidence of novel pathogens or atypical clinical presentations,\” the DOH said.
\”The DOH reiterates that there is no need for alarm; the government prioritizes the safety of the Filipino people,\” it added.
Chinese officials last week confirmed that they have been seeing an increase in the number of sick kids going to doctors for Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia, a common infection that often affects younger children.
Wellness medical expert Dr. Leana Wen explained last week on CNN international that pneumonia caused by Mycoplasma is called an \”atypical\” pneumonia. Its disease onset is said to be often gradual, with patients experiencing nonspecific symptoms like low-grade fever, tiredness, and headache.
READ: How concerning is the spike in respiratory illnesses in China? A doctor explains
Meanwhile, the DOH lauded China for its \”heightened surveillance,\” as it also said that it is coordinating with other international health authorities to intensify data monitoring on the cases.















