Home / News / Duterte faces fourth impeachment complaint on day of presidential bid reveal

Duterte faces fourth impeachment complaint on day of presidential bid reveal

Metro Manila, Philippines – Vice President Sara Duterte faced a fourth impeachment complaint Wednesday, Feb. 18, the same day she publicly announced plans to run for president in 2028.

Nathaniel Cabrera, a lawyer from Batangas province, filed the complaint late in the day at the Office of the Secretary General of the House of Representatives.

It was endorsed by Deputy Speaker Paolo Ortega and Manila Rep. Bienvenido Abante Jr.

Lawmakers said the grounds cited in the complaint were similar to previous filings, including allegations of corruption and bribery, as well as the use of confidential funds. 

The complaint also referenced earlier testimony by Ramil Madriaga, the alleged bagman of Duterte.

Abante said endorsing the complaint allows the constitutional process to move forward and gives the vice president the opportunity to answer the allegations.

Earlier in the day, Duterte said impeachment complaints were filed against her because she refused to take part in what she described as corrupt practices of the Marcos administration.

The House has yet to act on the three pending impeachment complaints against the vice president.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: