Home / News / Why did JC Intal retire from basketball?

Why did JC Intal retire from basketball?

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 24) — After 13 years of playing basketball in the PBA, JC Intal announced his retirement, which begs the question: What made him leave the sport?

“I will get straight to the point. It was the PBA ‘bubble’ experience. During my stay there for two months, I really missed my family,” the former PBA veteran told CNN Philippines’ New Day on Wednesday.

Under the setup, players, coaches, and league personnel had to stay in one place, which serves as their residence, practice facility, and playing venue until a conference, or a tournament in a PBA season, is over. This was to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

Intal said he initially wanted to play for “one or two more years,” then along came the restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I don’t think our games will go back to the old PBA. I think it will take years,” he shared.

Known as “The Rocket” for his leaping ability, Intal played for 13 years in the PBA. He was also part of the Ateneo de Manila University’s men’s varsity team.

Intal won a championship with B-Meg in the 2012 Commissioner’s Cup. He was also part of the Gilas Pilipinas team that won silver in the 2015 FIBA Asia Cup in Changsha, China. He said this stint was the “highlight” of his entire career “as all players are dreaming of playing for their country.”

What’s next for ‘The Rocket?’

Intal said he is currently focused on his art.

“Right now, I am into art. -I had my first solo show last year. And next month, I will have my second solo show and I’ll join the art fair next April,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: