Home / SportsDesk / Former pros headline Manila team playing in FIBA 3×3 Doha tilt

Former pros headline Manila team playing in FIBA 3×3 Doha tilt

Photo courtesy: Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas/Facebook

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 18) – Former pro cagers Chico Lanete and Mac Tallo banner the Aldin Ayo-coached Manila Chooks TM that will compete in the 2021 FIBA 3X3 World Tour Doha Masters.

The other two players who will represent the country in the prestigious FIBA 3×3 tilt are 6-foot-4 former University of Santo Tomas Growling Tiger Zachary Huang and stretch big man Dennis Santos.

The Manila Chooks TM 3×3 squad cleared their swab tests last March 16. They are now under home quarantine, before leaving the country on March 20. The Doha 3×3 tourney will be played from March 26 to 27.

Ayo, who will coach in his first 3×3 tournament, hopes this system will work in the international level. The former NCAA and UAAP champion mentor added his players are motivated to compete with the world’s best 3×3 players.

“All of these players are given another opportunity. They are motivated to prove that they can still play,” said Ayo.

The 41-year-old Lanete made his 3×3 debut last year in the 2020 Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas 3×3 President’s Cup, playing with the Uling Roasters-Butuan team.

Manila Chooks TM will have to go through the qualifying draw with host Doha and Austria’s Graz before it can make it to the main draw. Among the seeded teams are top 3×3 teams Liman of Serbia, Riga of Latvia, Ub of Serbia, NY Harlem of USA, Princeton of USA, Novi Sad of Serbia, Amsterdam Talent&Pro of the Netherlands, Piran of Slovenia, Šakiai Gulbelė of Lithuania, Edmonton of Canada, and Lusail of Qatar.

Chooks-to-Go president Ronald Mascariñas assured the safety of the players and they are now in talks with concerned government officials to let the squad leave the country for the tournament. A temporary travel ban to and from the Philippines will be implemented starting March 20 amid the spike in COVID-19 infections in the country.

“If everything goes well, Manila Chooks TM will be the first team to represent the country in an international competition. If that is not enough motivation for these boys, I don’t know what is,” said Mascariñas.

Last November, the Manila squad failed to notch a win in their two games after facing powerhouse teams Liman and Lusail in pool play. The 3×3 team was then composed of recent pro draftees Joshua Munzon, Alvin Pasaol, Troy Rike, and Santi Santillan.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: