Home / News / QC studying more movement restrictions amid 190% surge in daily average of new cases

QC studying more movement restrictions amid 190% surge in daily average of new cases

The Philippine Genome Center also later explained that the B.1.1.28 Brazilian “lineage” was a further mutation from the Brazil variant, which has yet to show any clinical significance or increased transmissibility.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 10) — Mayor Joy Belmonte said Wednesday they have not yet seen a need to place the entire Quezon City under lockdown, but are considering imposing more restrictions on gatherings and establishments amid a huge increase in their COVID-19 cases.

“We’re not yet at the stage where we should be locking down our city. I think we’re at the stage where we should be adopting restrictions that we think will help curtail the spread of the virus,” Belmonte said in a briefing.

Belmonte said they are studying the possibility of reducing the number of people who could be allowed in establishments such as churches and restaurants, adding they have yet to determine the possible capacity limits. But she said that they will only push through with this plan once they receive the go signal from the national government as well as sectors that will be affected by stricter regulations.

“We are also trying to be guided by our current data so we can make restrictions in the right places,” she added.

“Disturbing” COVID-19 situation

Belmonte described as “serious,” “disturbing” and “alarming” the current COVID-19 situation in Quezon City.

The mayor reported the daily average number of new cases in QC from March 2 to 8 has reached 218. This is 190.66% higher than the 75 recorded per day from Feb. 2 to 8, she added.

The city’s positivity rate also climbed to 9.3% in March 2 to 8, from the 4% logged last month.

The positivity rate of above 5% indicates that more testing is needed, according to OCTA Research Team. This is the percentage of people who test positive for the virus out of those overall, who have been tested.

Belmonte said based on their consultations with health specialists, the presence of different COVID-19 variants in Quezon City may have contributed to the sharp spike in new infections.

She said they have 13 cases of the faster spreading B.1.1.7 variant first detected in the United Kingdom and four cases of the B.1.351 variant first discovered in South Africa. Experts said the B.1.351 variant carries mutations that evade antibodies.

The QC government also sought clarification from the Department of Health if one of their cases carries the “variant of concern” which originated in Brazil. DOH spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire later told reporters in a Viber message that the one detected in Quezon City was of “Brazilian origin (B.1.1.28) but [is] not a variant of concern.”

The city now has 34,591 COVID-19 cases, 2,100 of which are currently ill. Recoveries stand at 31,633 while the death toll is at 858.

Meanwhile, the COVID-19 wards at the Quezon City General Hospital are fully occupied, the mayor said. She also said the Novaliches District Hospital has reached its capacity to cater to COVID-19 patients.

But she said they are still “fortunate” because COVID-19 patients can still be accommodated in other hospitals in the city.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: