
DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire echoed Domingo. “It is only through the national government that you can get these vaccines that are forthcoming,” she said in a separate briefing.
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, February 10) — No COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for general use, and the public should only receive anti-coronavirus shots that have been acquired by the government, Food and Drug Administration chief Eric Domingo reminded the public.
“Ang bakuna po ay maaari lamang ma-access through the government’s vaccination program,” Domingo told a briefing on Tuesday.
[Translation: The COVID-19 vaccines can only be accessed through the government’s vaccination program.]
The FDA chief made the reminder following reports that some individuals and institutions were offering for sale illegal COVID-19 vaccines, which authorities warned could pose serious health risks.
“The DOH, NTF (National Task Force), and FDA reiterate that safety and quality of vaccines purchased unlawfully cannot be guaranteed as these may be counterfeit or have been transported in the right temperature,” the agencies said in a joint statement issued Tuesday night.
“The public is reminded that counterfeit or spoiled vaccines may result in serious harm or injury, even death,” they added.
Only shots approved for emergency use will be given under the COVID-19 immunization program. American pharmaceutical firm Pfizer was the first to receive emergency use authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine from the country’s drug regulator, followed by British firm AstraZeneca. There are pending EUA applications for other vaccines at the FDA.
Domingo called on the public to report to the FDA those who have tried to sell them coronavirus vaccines “because this is a violation of the conditions of the emergency use authorization.”
He also urged those who are not yet eligible to wait for their turn to get a vaccine with regulatory approval, as supplies are limited and needed most by frontline health workers and other people who have a greater risk of dying if they catch COVID-19.
Procurement of vaccines is being handled exclusively by the national government, although tripartite agreements can be entered into by the private sector and local government officials. All of these vaccines will be given for free, and inoculation should also be authorized by the government. Initial vaccine doses are expected to arrive this month, officials said.
The issue of illegal vaccine distribution in the Philippines is not new. Last month, civic leader Teresita Ang-See said more than 100,000 Chinese nationals in the country received unauthorized vaccines as early as November last year.
















