Home / News / DILG: ₱74.3B worth of illegal drugs seized by Duterte admin

DILG: ₱74.3B worth of illegal drugs seized by Duterte admin

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 22) — The Duterte administration has so far seized ₱74.30 billion worth of illegal drugs since 2016, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said.

In a taped briefing with President Rodrigo Duterte aired Tuesday night, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año underscored the achievements of the government’s controversial war against illegal drugs.

The President last week ordered the DILG to collect data on how much illegal drugs have been seized under his administration, which will be used to prove to the International Criminal Court (ICC) the extent of the drug problem in the Philippines.

Año noted in his presentation that the total amount includes 9,755.54 kilos of shabu, 9,368.74 kilos of marijuana, 524.59 kilos of cocaine, and 149,138 pieces of ecstasy.

Some 1,000 drug dens and clandestine laboratories have also been dismantled, he said.

Año also noted authorities have cleared 23,686 of 35,416 drug-infested barangays, and arrested 319,929 of which 13,996 were high-value targets.

During the 221,657 drug operations conducted, 6,221 persons died, he noted.

He added that drug authorities were also able to rescue 4,086 minors involved in such illegal activities.

All in all, the Duterte government’s war against illegal drugs resulted in lower crime volume by 41% and higher crime solution efficiency to 85%, the DILG chief pointed out.

During the briefing, Duterte reiterated that he will kill those involved in illegal drugs since they “destroy the country” and he is doing this to protect the Filipinos.

He also said he will continue defending the duty of law enforcers to defend themselves when faced with violent resistance that leads to the need to kill drug dealers and drug lords.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: