Metro Manila, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) objected to remarks by China’s embassy that linked potential job losses among Filipinos to worsening bilateral relations, saying the tone of the statement risked undermining constructive dialogue.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs notes with concern the Chinese Embassy’s statement attributing job losses among Filipinos to strained bilateral relations,” the DFA said in a statement.
The department said the Philippines continues to value cooperation with other countries across economic and cultural sectors but took issue with how the embassy framed its comments.
“We take strong exception to the Embassy’s tone, which appears to imply that such cooperation could be withheld as a form of leverage or retaliation,” the DFA said, adding that in the current atmosphere the remarks “risk being perceived as coercive and undermines constructive bilateral dialogue.”
The DFA urged the Chinese embassy to adopt a “responsible and measured tone in public exchanges” while emphasizing that Manila remains committed to diplomacy despite profound differences with Beijing.
The comments came after Chinese embassy spokesperson Ji Lingpeng issued a sharply worded statement on Feb. 13 criticizing Filipino lawmakers amid tensions over diplomatic rhetoric and proposals to declare a Chinese diplomat persona non grata.
“Any serious damage to diplomatic relations, including downgrading of those relations, would cost millions of jobs,” Ji said, asking whether senators were “prepared to personally compensate those for their lost incomes.”
Ji also accused unnamed politicians of “always posturing, always bluffing,” and questioned their understanding of diplomacy, remarks that drew criticism from Philippine officials and fueled debate over the tone of recent exchanges.
The DFA did not directly address the embassy’s criticism of individual senators but reiterated its commitment to stabilizing and advancing ties with China.
“The DFA remains committed to diplomacy to stabilize and advance our bilateral relationship, notwithstanding profound differences,” it said.
Malacanang has called for “healthy dialogue” and mutual respect between Manila and Beijing following the Chinese Embassy’s job loss warning.
Palace press officer Claire Castro reiterated that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. does not see the need to replace Chinese Ambassador Jing Quan, reiterating the administration’s preference for diplomacy over further escalation.
“Ang sabi po ng pangulo diyan… ‘No, hindi po kinakailangang palitan,’” Castro said, referring to calls by some lawmakers to declare a Chinese diplomat persona non grata.
[Translation: The president said… ‘No, there is no need to replace him.’]
Marcos and Jing briefly exchanged pleasantries during an appearance in Binondo, Manila last week.
















