Metro Manila, Philippines – The National Bureau of Investigation has filed cyber libel complaints before the Department of Justice against a former broadcaster and a content creator over the alleged spread of false medical information about President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., while both denied wrongdoing and raised concerns about freedom of expression.
The NBI’s Cybercrime Division said posts and videos circulating in late January included a supposed CT-scan report and images questioning the president’s fitness for duty, which authorities described as unverified and misleading. Investigators said the materials were traced to the Meta-verified Facebook account of Jose Yumang Sonza, also known as Jay Sonza, and the YouTube channel of Jeffrey “Ka Eric” Celiz, which has attracted millions of views.
NBI Director Angelito Magno noted the agency’s position on accountability online.
“Freedom of expression carries with it the responsibility to ensure accuracy and accountability,” Magno said, adding that authorities remain committed to addressing the spread of malicious misinformation.
Authorities said some Facebook posts were later deleted or restricted, but agents preserved digital evidence through forensic screenshots and monitoring of reposts and online broadcasts. The bureau recommended charges of cyber libel under the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012, as well as unlawful use of means of publication under the Revised Penal Code.
In a Facebook post, Sonza questioned the basis of the complaint and defended his actions.
“Pray, tell me, what’s wrong with this post to merit a possible case of cyber libel?” Sonza said.
“My lawyers have been duly notified… and we will exhaust all our constitutional rights and legal avenues,” he added.
Sonza also cited similar complaints filed against him in the past that were dismissed by prosecutors. He also said he hoped the case was not “another harassment and an attempt to silence a retired journalist.”
Celiz, in a separate statement, warned about the impact on public discourse.
“The filing of cyber libel complaints… raises alarm and significant concerns regarding the status of freedom of expression in the country today,” Celiz said.
He described the move as “a deliberate government attempt to silence dissent,” adding that when citizens fear legal repercussions for voicing concerns, it undermines democratic debate and accountability.
Celiz also called for transparency and said open public discourse is essential in a functioning democracy.
Earlier this month, Marcos said he was recovering from diverticulitis. He was hospitalized on Jan. 21 for observation.
In a vlog posted Feb. 1, the 68-year-old president said doctors assessed his condition as “good” and “nothing serious” though he lost weight over a liquid diet for a number of days.
Malacañang and the St. Luke’s Medical Center management earlier denied the authenticity of a medical document circulating online, calling it fabricated, malicious and a violation of privacy.
















