
Metro Manila, Philippines – The police said it is ready for possible protests in Metro Manila on Friday, Sept. 12, over the flood control scandal hogging headlines.
In a statement on Thursday, Sept. 11, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said it will maintain peace, order, and security in the protest actions, and will exercise maximum tolerance.
The NCRPO earlier said it is preparing for “Black Friday” protests this week.
“We respect and uphold the constitutional right of every Filipino to assemble and express their views,” the police office said.
“At the same time, we remind everyone that these freedoms must be carried out peacefully and responsibly, without endangering public safety or disrupting community life,” it added.
The police will be on full alert, with security measures in place to prevent possible clashes, vandalism, and traffic disruptions.
It advised the public to avoid protest areas when possible and cooperate with authorities.
PLtGen Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., acting chief of the Philippine National Police, said the protests would not escalate to the unrest in Indonesia and Nepal that resulted in deaths, but the police is prepared for any eventuality, the Philippine News Agency reported.
NCRPO spokesperson PMaj Hazel Asilo previously said the police will deploy over 2,000 officers on patrol given information that at least four protest actions will happen in Metro Manila. Asilo was unsure about the locations.
On Thursday morning, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said around 200 protesters held an anti-corruption rally in front of EDSA Shrine.
’19’: ‘contentWidth’: ‘100%’ ’embedCode’: ‘















