Home / News / PCG sends replacement ship to Escoda Shoal but weather a challenge – Año

PCG sends replacement ship to Escoda Shoal but weather a challenge – Año

Metro Manila, Philippines— National Security Adviser Eduardo Año said that the Philippine Coast Guard has deployed a replacement ship to Escoda Shoal, also known as Sabina Shoal, following the pullout of the BRP Teresa Magbanua last week.

“Nagpadala na ang ating coast guard pero because of the weather kailangan mag shelter muna ano,” said Año in an ambush interview on Friday.

[Translation: Our coast guard has already been deployed, but due to the weather, they need to take shelter first]

“Hindi pa maganda ang weather ngayon ano pero meron nang plano ang phil coast guard anong boat ang pupunta dun at we will always make sure yung ating presence and access sa Sabina shoal ay tuloy tuloy,” said Año.

[Translation:The weather isn’t good yet, but the Philippine Coast Guard already has plans on which boat will go there, and we will always ensure our continued presence and access to Sabina Shoal]

Año did not disclose the number and what type of vessels were deployed to the shoal.

No need for US, allies intervention

Año said the Philippines will continue maritime operations in its exclusive economic zone without asking for escorts from allied countries.

The NSC chief added the country has no plans of provoking China or escalating tensions further in the South China Sea.

“When it comes to the West Philippine Sea, the guidance of the president is all Filipino at kayang kaya naman natin so far and ayaw naman natin magkaroon ng escalation by involving third parties so at this moment at ginamit natin ay combination lahat ng national instrument of power kasama na rin yung diplomacy and dialogues,” said Año.

[Translation: When it comes to the West Philippine Sea, the president’s guidance is that everything should be Filipino-led, and so far, we are more than capable. We don’t want to escalate the situation by involving third parties, so at this moment, we are using a combination of all national instruments of power, including diplomacy and dialogues.]

The NSC official said he does not see the need for now to enter into a provisional agreement with China, similar to Ayungin Shoal.

“Number one matigil yung anumang reclamation na ginagawa dito, pangalawa walang mga illegal na ginagawa any foreign power, at pangatlo maintain our access and presence because Sabina Shoal is a low tide elevation and it is within our exclusive economic zone so hindi yan high tide elevation, hindi na pwedeng maging teritoryo ng anumang country pero under sya sa ating exclusive economic zone, tayo lang ang merong karapatan para iexploit lahat ng resources dito at siyempre proteksyunan yung mga mangingisda, gusto natin yung mga mangingisda pumunta rito sa Sabina Shoal,” he added.

[Translation: First, we need to stop any reclamation there. Second, there should be no illegal activities by any foreign power. And third, we must maintain our access and presence because Sabina Shoal is a low-tide elevation and it is within our exclusive economic zone. It’s not a high-tide elevation, so it cannot be claimed as the territory of any country, but it is under our exclusive economic zone. We are the only ones with the right to exploit all the resources here, and of course, protect our fishermen. We want our fishermen to come to Sabina Shoal]

The PCG previously reaffirmed the country’s commitment to maintaining its presence in Escoda or Sabina Shoal, despite the temporary withdrawal of the BRP Teresa Magbanua.

PCG West Philippine Sea spokesperson Jay Tarriela said the withdrawal was due to bad weather, dwindling supplies, and concerns over the health of the crew, who conducted extended patrols for five months.

“It’s a misconception that we surrendered or cannot return,” said Tarriela. “We have not given up or abandoned the area. We can always return in various ways.”