Home / News / SC official: De Lima’s remaining drug cases may be submitted for decision this year

SC official: De Lima’s remaining drug cases may be submitted for decision this year

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, Sept. 1) — A Supreme Court official on Thursday said the remaining illegal drug cases against detained former Senator Leila de Lima may possibly be submitted for decision before the year ends.

“With the rate things are going, my view is that before the end of the year, there may be, this matter, these cases may be submitted for decision already,” Supreme Court Administrator Raul Villanueva said in a House hearing on the judiciary’s 2023 budget.

He made the statement after Rep. France Castro of ACT Teachers party-list asked for updates on the two pending cases against De Lima, who has been detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Quezon City since 2017.

“[These are] being heard continuously by the assigned judges — two RTC (regional trial court) judges in RTC Muntinlupa. And so long as the parties would be able to present their evidence, your honor, in due time, these will already be submitted for decision,” Villanueva also told Castro.

De Lima has been detained for allegedly abetting an illegal drug trade in the New Bilibid Prison when she was Justice secretary during the term of former president Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III. The ex-senator — a vocal critic of former President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly drug war — maintained her innocence and accused the Duterte administration of fabricating charges against her.

She was acquitted in one of her three drug cases in February last year, while two others are pending.

Since late April, four witnesses have recanted their allegations against De Lima. The first three said government officials coerced them to implicate her, while one said he was compelled to lie for fear of his life.

READ: TIMELINE: De Lima’s five-year struggle in prison

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: