
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 1) — More than a hundred healthcare facilities sustained damage after the magnitude 7 quake that hit Northern Luzon last week, the Health Department said on Monday.
Speaking to CNN Philippines’ The Source, DOH officer-in-charge Ma. Rosario Vergeire said they have recorded 177 healthcare facilities across the country that were affected, including barangay health stations, and city and municipal health offices.
“Ang badly affected po talaga ang Abra kung nasaan ang Abra Provincial Hospital,” Vergeire disclosed. “Madali naman naming napuntahan ang area na ito. Nakapagset up po tayo dito ng tents, tayo po ay nakapagdeploy ng equipment para sa ospital na ito.”
[Translation: Really badly affected was Abra where the Abra Provincial Hospital is located. We easily reached the area. And set up tents and deployed equipment for this hospital.]
Vergeire said a medical emergency team comprising specialists from different government hospitals also responded to the area to assist in the operations and minimize service disruptions among patients.
“Tuluy-tuloy po natin itong imomonitor. We will continue to go around this damaged facility so we can see how we will be able to assist para magawan ng repairs,” she added. “Although they are functional, we need to ensure na safe po ito para sa ating mga pasyente.”
[Translation: We will continue to monitor this. We will continue to go around this damaged facility so we can see how we will be able to assist and make some repairs. Although it is functional, we need to ensure that the area is still safe for patients.]
As of August 1, the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council has reported 10 fatalities following the quake. The province of Abra, where the epicenter of the tremor was located, had been placed under a state of calamity.
A total of 24,901 houses were damaged in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Cordillera Administrative Region, and Metro Manila.
At least 376 people were reportedly injured, while 1,248 people were evacuated.
READ: NDRRMC: North Luzon quake death toll climbs to 10
















