Home / News / Duterte running for VP in 2022? Palace says ‘he leaves it to God’

Duterte running for VP in 2022? Palace says ‘he leaves it to God’

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 27) — President Rodrigo Duterte joining the vice-presidential race next year remains a possibility, his spokesperson Harry Roque hinted on Thursday.

“I think I will quote the President — he leaves it to God,” Roque said in a media briefing.

Duterte, the then-Davao City mayor, made a similar “I leave it to God” statement in an October 2015 interview with Rappler before officially announcing his bid for the highest seat in government.

His daughter, incumbent Davao City Mayor Sara Dutere, is among those seen to possibly take over his role in 2022.

A survey by Pulse Asia released last month showed the First Daughter is the top bet of Filipinos among potential candidates. However, in January this year, the younger Duterte told her supporters to wait for her to run in 2034.

Meanwhile, Vice President Leni Robredo topped the list of people being eyed by the new opposition coalition 1Sambayan as a presidential candidate in the upcoming polls, but Robredo has yet to decide on the matter.has yet to decide on the matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: