
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 26) — Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte has issued a show-cause order to a city councilor to explain the reported violation of basic health protocols during an event he sponsored on Tuesday, the local government said on Wednesday.
Belmonte wants Majority Leader Franz Pumaren of the city’s 3rd District to explain the alleged breach of safety protocols which occurred in his food distribution activity in Barangay Old Balara, the Quezon City LGU said in a statement.
“The show-cause order had been received by Councilor Pumaren today,” it added. Pumaren has been given 72 hours from receipt of the order to explain why he should not be charged for the event.
“The move is consistent with the city government’s policy of going after violators of established health and safety protocols as well as to hold them accountable for their actions, regardless of status or position,” the LGU statement read.
It added that the city’s legal department is already performing the needed investigation over reports and will file appropriate cases as warranted. The Quezon City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) has also been directed to provide COVID-19 testing for the event’s participants.
Belmonte reiterated her warning to all citizens — including officials — they will be prosecuted “without fear or favor” if they violate health regulations and endanger residents’ safety.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government also expressed disappointment over the incident.
“Of course we can’t prevent people from giving help at this time dahil ang ating mga kababayan ay nangangailangan ng tulong ngunit gawin natin sa sistematikong paraan [because our fellow citizens need help. But we should do it in a systematic manner],” DILG Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya told reporters.
“We’ll ask the mayor and the DILG field office na pagsabihan and to take a look pano matutulungan sila na mas maging maayos yung pamimigay ng ayuda,” Malaya added.
[Translation: We’ll ask the (concerned) mayor and the DILG field office to reprimand (him) and to take a look at how they can help organize a more orderly distribution of aid.]
CNN Philippines correspondents Gerg Cahiles and Melissa Lopez contributed to this report.
















