Home / News / Duterte says gov’t ‘remains committed’ to upholding press freedom

Duterte says gov’t ‘remains committed’ to upholding press freedom

President Rodrigo Duterte will consider the best interest of the country in deciding if he will run for vice president in 2022, according to his spokesman.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, May 3) — On World Press Freedom Day, President Rodrigo Duterte said his government will “remain committed” to protecting journalists’ rights, as a local media group called attention to continued attacks on reporters.

“Let me assure everyone that this administration will remain committed in promoting press freedom as a vital component and indicator of progress anywhere in the world,” Duterte said in a statement on Monday.

Ensuring a free press, the President added, is a “public good” and is “indispensable” to democracy.

“Cognizant of the ever-changing communication system these days, may the mass media also uphold fairness and transparency while also making a positive impact on the people’s lives,” he continued.

The Philippines fell two places in the World Press Freedom Index this year, ranking 138th among 180 countries. This marked the fourth year in a row that its spot dropped in the list after placing 136th in 2020, 134th in 2019, and 133rd in 2018.

In a statement, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines said there have been 51 documented cases of attacks on journalists during the Duterte administration. Of this number, it said 30 involved red-tagging and 22 incidents happened during the COVID-19 pandemic which began early last year.

The group said the attacks include killings and attempts, intimidation, threats of libel, arrests, online harassment, verbal and physical assault, and barring reporters from coverage, among others. On May 2, former NUJP Capiz chair John Heredia was shot dead by motorcycle-riding gunmen at Brgy. Lawa-an, Roxas City. Police are currently investigating the incident.

“The practice of labeling activists, government critics and journalists as enemies of the state has also gone beyond harassment and intimidation,” the NUJP added.

It specified the passage of the controversial Anti-Terror Act, which it called a “a threat to many civil liberties,” including the freedom of expression and the freedom of the press.

“Irked by a report on the affidavit of two Aetas charged under the anti-terror law, National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict spokesperson Lt. General Antonio Parlade threatened to sue the journalist for ‘aiding the terrorist by spreading lies,’” the group said. Section 12 of the law punishes providing material support to terrorists with up to life imprisonment.

NUJP also cited the shutdown of media giant ABS-CBN last year, as well as the cases against Rappler which “have continued to mount.”

The Palace earlier disagreed that the issues surrounding the two media outlets merit the Philippines’ lower ranking in the World Press Freedom Index, saying these are not related to media freedom.

“But even if we mark World Press Freedom Day with many reasons to be fearful, we mark it also with hope, knowing that there are many of us still working each day to gather facts and shine a little light on what is happening in the country and what isn’t,” the NUJP said. “We mark World Press Freedom Day with the challenge to be free and to insist on being free.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: