Home / News / UNICEF immunization specialist worried over disrupted routine vaccination for Filipino children due to pandemic

UNICEF immunization specialist worried over disrupted routine vaccination for Filipino children due to pandemic

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, April 30) — An immunization specialist from the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Philippines on Friday expressed concern over the disruptions on routine and critical immunization services for Filipino children due to the COVID-19 pandemic, noting the vaccination coverage rate last year may lead to polio and measles outbreaks.

Dr. Carla Ante-Orozco said only 62% of the 95% target population completed the required doses of critical vaccines in 2020. A joint statement from the Department of Health, World Health Organization, UNICEF, and other organizations on April 26 stated that 69% of the target completed their routine shots in 2019.

Lockdowns and redeployment of health personnel to assist in health crisis response “reduced” parents’ and caregivers’ access to health services, according to her. Issues in access could cause “possible outbreaks of measles and polio,” with children living in disadvantaged communities being the “most vulnerable,“ she added.

“Health workers are being diverted to support the outbreak response,” Ante-Orozco told CNN Philippines’ New Day. “This includes, of course, the COVID-19 vaccination, which affected the delivery of routine immunization services especially for children.”

The immunization specialist pointed out this was the case around the world.

“In some places, children are missing out already on critical vaccines due to community quarantine measures, health facility lockdowns, and of course the fear of mothers and caregivers of COVID-19 infection,” she said.

Another contributor to low immunization coverage is vaccine hesitancy, Ante Orozco said. However, “even before the controversy on a certain vaccine, there was already a decline in the immunization uptake and services,” she said, referring to Dengvaxia.

The Department of Health reported last month 800,000 of the 95% target population in priority regions remained unvaccinated. The agency has repeatedly urged parents and legal guardians to have their kids under 5 years old vaccinated against polio, measles, and rubella, which are free in public health centers.

Global situation

Mass immunization campaigns in other parts of the world are also disrupted by the ongoing pandemic, WHO said early this week.

“According to new data, 60 of these lifesaving campaigns are currently postponed in 50 countries, putting around 228 million people – mostly children – at risk for diseases such as measles, yellow fever and polio,” it said in a statement. Of the 50 countries, half are in Africa, it added.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: