Home / News / Displaced informal workers in ECQ areas to be hired as contact tracers

Displaced informal workers in ECQ areas to be hired as contact tracers

Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna, also known as the NCR Plus, have reverted to the strictest ECQ in a bid to control the surge in COVID-19 cases in the country. With this, movement will be limited in these areas as only establishments offering essential services will be allowed to operate.

“Napagusapan namin kanina, na itong mga informal workers na bibigyan natin ng emergency employment program ay gagamitin as contact tracers […] We volunteered to the Department of [Interior and] Local Government na yung ating mga benepisyaryo sa ating emergency employment program na gamitin nila as contact tracers,” said Bello in a virtual press briefing.

[Translation: We discussed earlier that the informal workers in the emergency employment program will be hired as contact tracers […] We volunteered to the Department of Interior and Local Government that the beneficiaries of our emergency employment program will be used as contact tracers.]

The Department of Interior and Local Government earlier sought the help of Congress anew for more budget to be able to tap and sustain 15,000 contact tracers until December. Meanwhile, contact tracing czar Benjamin Magalong admitted that the government’s contract tracing workforce is not enough amid the surge in COVID-19 cases.

Bello said the number of contact tracers to be hired among emergency employment program beneficiaries will depend on local government units.

He added that DOLE will release again a one-time cash assistance of P5,000 for the affected formal workers.

“Meron tayong tulong na tinatawag na CAMP (COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program), ito yung para sa mga formal workers. May one time cash assistance for them,” he added.

[Translation: We have a program called CAMP, this is for the formal workers. They will have a one-time cash assistance.]

He said companies will have to submit again a list of employees affected by the ECQ in the said areas.

Aside from the Labor Department’s cash assistance program, the Budget Department is also setting aside some P23 billion for its cash aid program to nearly 23 million Filipinos that will be affected by the ECQ.

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 29) – Displaced informal workers in areas under enhanced community quarantine will be hired as contact tracers through the emergency employment program, said Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: