
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 19) — Malacañang assured Filipinos there’s nothing to worry about on the health of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Duterte coughed in the middle of his public address on Thursday, and said it “might be cancer.” But his spokesman said, the President was likely just joking.
“On the basis naman of what I also on TV, I would say nagbibiro naman po iyong Presidente, kasi naubo nga po siya tapos sabi niya baka cancer na ito [the President was just joking when he coughed and said it might be cancer],” Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said during a virtual briefing Friday.
“Ang Presidente naman po ay abogado and susunod po siya sa Saligang Batas,” Roque added. “Kung mayroon siyang seryosong karamdaman, ipagbibigay-alam po niya iyan sa publiko.”
[Translation: The President is a lawyer and he follows the Constitution. If he has a serious condition, he will let the public know.]
Article VII, Section 12 of the Constitution mandates that the public should be informed of the president’s state of health in case of serious illness.
RELATED: Supreme Court junks bid to disclose Duterte’s health records
Concerns have been raised about Duterte’s health in the past. In August last year, the President said his Barrett’s esophagus ailment was already nearing stage one cancer.
However, the Palace has since allayed such concerns and stressed Duterte remains healthy for his age.
















