Home / News / Duterte repeats call for LGUs to provide face masks for everybody as coronavirus cases surge

Duterte repeats call for LGUs to provide face masks for everybody as coronavirus cases surge

President Rodrigo Duterte (FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 15) — President Rodrigo Duterte again ordered the Interior Department and barangay officials to ensure every citizen has a face mask to counter rising COVID-19 cases in the country.

“We have to provide masks for everybody. Kung walang pera ang tao na pambili ng mask (If people don’t have the money to buy a mask), how do you expect compliance?” Duterte said during the weekly Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases meeting on Monday.

Duterte lamented that some people use worn out masks because they can’t afford new ones.

The President emphasized the DILG and village chiefs should come up with data of how many people have face masks, like their count on how many citizens will be vaccinated against COVID-19.

“If we need to ask the people to comply, we also look into the possibility that they cannot buy it. So government, at this time, must provide,” Duterte said.

The President’s remarks were a reiteration of his speech last February 24, when he ordered local government units to distribute free face masks while the country is awaiting the arrival of COVID-19 vaccines.

Duterte has always reminded the public to follow minimum safety protocols, including the wearing of face masks. The Department of Health earlier said masks guarantee 60% to 70% protection from the coronavirus.

The country recorded 5,404 new cases on Monday, as its cumulative count reached 626,893 a year after Metro Manila was placed on lockdown. The latest DOH report showed of the total tally, 53,479 or 8.5% are active cases. Some 12,837 persons have died and 560,577 patients have so far recovered from COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: