Home / News / Supreme Court urged to take action on attacks vs. ATA petitioners, lawyers

Supreme Court urged to take action on attacks vs. ATA petitioners, lawyers

(FILE PHOTO)

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 9) — Petitioners against the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 and their counsels on Tuesday exhorted the Supreme Court to intervene in the continued attacks against them, with some calling for a lawyer’ strike amid unsolved killings.

“We call on the Supreme Court as the constitutionally-appointed guardian of civil liberties and protector of the legal profession to take immediate measures to stop these attacks including those committed against petitioners and counsel in the ATA petitions. The issuance of a TRO on the enforcement of the ATA pending the final adjudication of the 37 petitions could help address the worsening situation,” read a statement signed by 62 petitioners and counsel.

Among those who signed the statement were former Vice President Jejomar Binay, former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, former Supreme Court Chief Justice Antonio Carpio, and Atty. Chel Diokno.

An example of violence cited in the statement was the stabbing incident involving Atty. Angelo Karlo Guillen in Iloilo City on March 3.

Guillen is a lawyer in the petition spearheaded by the National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers which questions the legality of the controversial anti-terrorism law.

Petitioners have earlier said they and their lawyers have experienced intimindation, surveillance, receiving unknown phone calls, and red-tagging. Even media covering the oral arguments were not spared from being tagged as terrorists, they noted.

“These attacks are directly brought about by the continuing impunity in the country, as evidenced by the killing of at least 54 lawyers and judges and the thousands of victims of extrajudicial killings since 2016. These attacks against lawyers must stop as they threaten the practice of the legal profession and the right of the people to judicial remedies,” the statement said.

At a news conference, Atty. Evalyn Ursua, counsel in the petition of the NUJP and others, deplored that none of the 54 killings have been solved and no one has been jailed, but there is no uproar from the legal profession.

“Agree ako dapat tipping point na ito. Actually, nagsabi na nga kami noon, proposal namin noon aba kailangan na natin mag strike, kasi kung pinapatay tayo, ano inaasahan natin? Kahit ibuwis natin ang buhay natin sa paggawa ng trabaho natin. So yes, we shall all actually go on strike, and I am willing to do that kung sabihin ng mga abogado all over the country sabihin mag strike na tayo.”

[Translation: I agree this should be a tipping point. Actually, we proposed earlier that we go on strike because if we’re being killed, what chould we count on? Even if we put our lives for the line while we do our jobs. So yes, we shall all actually go on strike, and I am willing to do that if lawyers all over the country say we should.]

They also urged members of the legal profession, as well as the public to condemn attacks on lawyers, judges, and petitioners and their counsel, and demand that government stop killings and escalating violence.

The Anti-Terrorism Act is the most challenged law in the Supreme Court’s recent history, with the 37 petititions calling out its supposed potential to violate constitutional rights. Oral arguments began in February, but two hearings have been postponed so far as Justices needed to quarantine themselves.

SC asked to intervene in the continuing attacks againsts ATA Petitioners and Counsel:

LAWYERS CALL FOR A MORE ACTIVE…

Posted by Integrated Bar of the Philippines on Monday, March 8, 2021

ADVERTISEMENT
Tagged: